Prolific dangerous driver jailed - Luton

22/08/2014

A Judge told a dangerous driver, who had been banned 18 times before, that he was "everyone's nightmare on the road."

Judge Michael Kay QC told Shane Tyler: "What really concerns me is that one of these days you are going to kill someone on the road."

He said 31-year-old Tyler had the worst driving record he had seen, which included three previous convictions for dangerous driving.

He added: "Forgive me if I am cycnical about your remorse, but on the face of it nothing gets through to you."

Tyler, of no fixed address, was before Luton Crown Court on Friday, 22 August 2014, to be sentenced for dangerous driving, driving while disqualified, and possessing a bladed article in public, all of which he pleaded guilty to.

He was jailed for a total of two years and four months and banned from driving for five years.

Daniel Siong prosecuting for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), said the latest incident was on 06 July this year shortly after midnight. It involved a high speed police pursuit from Whipperley Ring, into Luton town centre and ended in Stockingstone Road, when he ran out of petrol. During the chase he went round the Kidney Wood roundabout at the M1 junction the wrong way, stopped at one point and reversed into the police car causing damage, and went through red lights.

There was a struggle when he was arrested. At the time he was on bail for a charge of affray, and was on licence from his last prison sentence for driving matters.

Andrew Price, defending, said Tyler had tried hard to earn a living after being released from prison, and was building up work doing property maintenance. But that night he was called on by his sister to take her to see his estranged wife, who had received threats from another man. When he got to the house he saw a police car, and knowing his record he panicked.

Judge Kay said despite the circumstances he should not have driven. He could have called police, arranged a taxi or found someone else to drive.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.