Operation Bullfinch men sentenced - Oxford
Seven men were today, Thursday, 27 June 2013, given prison sentences totalling a minimum of 95 years, after being found guilty of offences including rape, facilitating child prostitution, and trafficking.
The men were convicted at the Old Bailey last month following a two-year investigation into child sex exploitation in Oxford and a four-month trial.
Operation Bullfinch was a joint investigation launched by Thames Valley Police and Oxford County Council Social Services in May 2011, into suspected serious sexual offences against a number of children and young people in Oxford.
Seven men were convicted of 59 counts on 14 May.
They were today sentenced as follows:
- Kamar Jamil, aged 27, of Aldrich Road, Oxford - life imprisonment to serve a minimum of 12 years, and other concurrent prison sentences for eight offences.
- Akhtar Dogar, aged 32, of Tawney Street, Oxford - life imprisonment to serve a minimum of 17 years, and other concurrent prison sentences for 11 offences.
- Anjum Dogar, aged 31, of Tawney Street, Oxford - life imprisonment to serve a minimum of 17 years, and other concurrent prison sentences for nine offences.
- Assad Hussain, aged 32, of Ashhurst Way, Oxford - seven years imprisonment, and a Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO) for two offences.
- Mohammed Karrar, aged 38, of Kames Close, Oxford - life imprisonment to serve a minimum of 20 years, and other concurrent prison sentences for 18 offences.
- Bassam Karrar, aged 34, of Hundred Acres Close, Oxford - life imprisonment to serve a minimum of 15 years, and other concurrent prison sentences for nine offences.
- Zeeshan Ahmed, aged 28, of Palmer Road, Wood Farm, Oxford - seven years imprisonment, and a Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO) for two offences.
In sentencing, Judge Peter Rook said the men had committed "a series of sexual crimes of the utmost gravity," which had targeted "vulnerable and underage girls."
He said: "Each of the six young girls have shown enormous courage in coming to the Old Bailey to give evidence, knowing they would be accused of lying, knowing they would have to relive their ordeals, and knowing they have not been believed before.
"The jury has found they have come to the court to tell the truth."
Baljit Ubhey OBE, Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS Thames and Chiltern, said: "The abuse these girls were subjected to was truly appalling. Today's sentences reflect the seriousness of the offences, and the young age and vulnerability of the victims when the offences were committed.
"I would like to thank the victims for having the courage to support the prosecution and give evidence in this case. Their bravery has ensured that seven sexual predators, who sought opportunities to target, and sexually abuse and exploit vulnerable young girls, have been brought to justice.
"The victims in this case were targeted because of their vulnerability and then cynically exploited. They were given drink and drugs; they were shown attention to make them feel special, all of which was insincere and designed solely to make them feel indebted to their abusers; they were then coerced into sexual acts by emotional pressure, intimidation, threats and violence. As a result, these girls were left in absolutely no position to give true and free consent to those sexual acts.
"This is an important point for other victims out there, who may think that they won't be believed because they too seemingly 'agreed' to sexual activity. The background and context of such sexual activity is of crucial importance and victims who are forced to succumb to it by the use of such tactics do not, in the eyes of the law, consent to it. Their freedom to make a choice has been cruelly taken away from them.
"The Crown Prosecution Service has made tackling child sexual abuse a national priority. Only two weeks ago (11 June) the Director of Public Prosecutions issued new interim guidelines on prosecuting cases of child sexual abuse, which are subject to a three month public consultation.
"This case shows our approach is working, and I urge any victims of sexual offences to come forward and report their abuse to the appropriate authorities. We and the police will listen and support you.
"In today's case, I very much hope that today's sentences provide some comfort to the victims and their families."
Senior Investigating Officer (SIO) Simon Morton said: "This is a great result for the victims. At last they can see justice has been done.
"These men have received a total of at least 95 years. The girls can now start to move on with their lives knowing the men that caused them so much pain are locked up.
"More than that, every victim around the country can see that justice does work. If you've suffered like these girls have, please come and tell us your story, we can help you.
"There is another message here. Anyone out there who even thinks of committing sexual atrocities like these needs to look over their shoulder and keep looking over their shoulder. We know how you work, we know how you think. Be in no doubt, we are coming for you."