Men sentenced for 2008 prison riot in Aylesbury


The last of 11 men to appear before the courts for his part in a riot at Aylesbury Young Offender Institution was sentenced on 22 March.

Daimon Wallace (21) is the only one of the men to have finished his original sentence. He was given 12 months imprisonment, suspended for 24 months with a 12 month supervision order, at Chelmsford Crown Court. The ten other men who had charges brought against them were dealt with in the following way:

Leon Sinclair (22) pleaded guilty at Chelmsford Crown Court to criminal damage and breaching section 4 of the Public Order Act. He was sentenced to four months to run concurrently with his original sentence.

Wahid Emran (22) and Jonathon Odokama (22) both pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing at Huntingdon Crown Court to violent disorder. Emran was ordered to serve 16 months consecutive to his original sentence; Odokama must serve 12 months consecutive to his original sentence.

Nathan Gooden (23), Tristan Harriette (21), Ricky Omoiauwa (21), Jesse Herbert (22) and Amine Mbarki (20), all pleaded guilty at Chelmsford Crown Court at an earlier hearing, to affray. They are to serve 12 months, 15 months, 15 months, 12 months and 12 months respectively and consecutively to their original sentences.

Mafuta Capitao (22) was found guilty of affray at Chelmsford Crown Court at an earlier hearing and was ordered to serve 12 months concurrently to his original sentence. Quadri Ogunkoya (22) pleaded guilty to affray at Chelmsford Crown Court and was sentenced to 18 months' imprisonment.

A riot broke out at Her Majesty's Young Offender Institution on Manor Road, Aylesbury on 8 December 2008 as a result of an earlier incident. More than 80 prisoners were involved in the riot, which caused more than £50,000 damage to the prison buildings and cost £20,000 in mutual aid staffing costs.

Adrian Roberts, Head of the Complex Casework Unit for CPS Thames and Chiltern, said: 'This was a serious incident of disorder inside a prison that presented a considerable risk of harm to the staff and to other prisoners. The actions of the prisoners also caused substantial damage to public property.

'We have robustly prosecuted the individuals involved and have now secured convictions against all of them, for which they have received further sentences of imprisonment. In these sorts of incidents, where there is sufficient evidence the public interest will almost always require a prosecution.'

Det Con Tim Bradley, from Aylesbury CID, said: 'This was a unique investigation which required solid partnership working between Thames Valley Police, Her Majesty's Prison Service and the Crown Prosecution Service, in order to gather sufficient evidence to bring these young men to justice.

'It is extremely rare for convictions to be brought against those involved in prison disorder and the outcome of this case is testament to all three organisations for their tireless hard work.'

HMP Aylesbury Governor Kevin Leggett added: 'Violence in prisons is not tolerated and these charges reflect that. While such incidents are rare, we will always press for the most serious charges to be laid against those who are violent in what is normally a secure and ordered environment.

'The success of this investigation is thanks to the close working of Aylesbury (prison), Thames Valley Police and the Crown Prosecution Service. The efforts of all three organisations were vital in securing justice in this case.'