Men jailed in connection with shooting - Langley, Slough

11/07/2012

Three men have been jailed in connection with a double shooting, which occurred in the Langley area of Slough in November last year.

William (Billy) Smith (senior), aged 45, William (Billy) Smith (junior), aged 26, and Matthew (Matty) Smith, aged 19, all of Langley Park Road, were all sentenced today, Wednesday, 11 July 2012, at Reading Crown Court.  William Smith senior was given an indeterminate sentence and will serve a minimum of 12-years, William Smith junior was sentenced to 18-years, and Matthew Smith was jailed for 13-years.

In May all three were found guilty of the attempted murder of William (Billy) Smith, aged 34, attempting to cause grievous bodily harm to Joseph Brazil, aged 45, one count of possessing a handgun with intent to endanger life, and one count of possessing a shotgun with intent to endanger life.

The shootings occurred at about 12.45am on Saturday, 05 November 2011, inside a chalet in Foxborough Close.  Thirty four year old William (Billy) Smith was shot three times in the chest and abdomen with a .22mm handgun, while Joseph Brazil sustained wounds to his torso and arms, caused by a sawn off shotgun.

The court heard that there had been a disagreement over attendance at a relative's funeral.

Baljit Ubhey OBE, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: "The two victims in this case were shot whilst at home, in a premeditated attack, which involved the use of guns, taken there for the purpose.

"As a result of a careful and thorough investigation, and the courage of witnesses who attended to give evidence, we were able to prove to the jury that Smith, Smith, and Smith were guilty of the attempted murder of William (Billy) Smith, aged 34, and attempting to cause grievous bodily harm to Joseph Brazil, aged 45, possessing a handgun with intent to endanger life, and possessing a shotgun with intent to endanger life.

"Their conviction and today's sentences demonstrate that people who use firearms inappropriately will be vigorously investigated by the police, and prosecuted leading to lengthy prison sentences.  Hopefully, the sentences will act as a deterrent to others.

"We hope that the victims, who have shown great courage throughout this process, continue with their recovery."

Detective Inspector Ali Driver, who led the investigation, said: "This was a horrific incident, which left one man needing life-saving surgery.  It was not a random attack, but a targeted offence carried out by people known to the victims.  However, I hope that today's result will provide the local community with some reassurance and send out a clear message that violence will not be tolerated."