Man sentenced for murder - Oxford


An 18-year-old man has today, Monday, 08 October 2012, been sentenced at Oxford Crown Court to life imprisonment for the murder of Aaron Buron. He is to serve a minimum of 21-years.

Haydan O'Callaghan, of Saunders Road, Oxford, murdered 29-year-old Aaron Buron, in St. Martin's Road, Rose Hill, on 31 March 2012.

He had earlier pleaded guilty to manslaughter, but his plea was not accepted by the Crown prosecution Service and he was tried for murder.

He was found unanimously guilty by a jury of murder on Friday, 05 October 2012, after a week-long trial.

Baljit Ubhey OBE, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service said: "We have worked closely with the police since this investigation was launched.  This was a tragic crime, which led to the untimely death of 29-year-old Aaron Buron.

"Initially 18-year-old Haydan O'Callaghan of Saunders Road, Oxford denied being present at the incident, but later admitted the manslaughter of Aaron.  The jury at Oxford Crown Court found that there was overwhelming evidence against O'Callaghan and the jurors were in no doubt that he intended to kill Aaron, despite his denials, and therefore convicted him of Aaron's murder.

"The Crown Prosecution Service praises the strength and courage of Aaron's family who sat through the trial and listened to the horrific details of how the hip-hop artist was stabbed to death while trying to do a good deed.

"As a result of the hard work and diligence of the prosecution team, a just outcome has been achieved for the victim and his family.  We hope that the conviction and sentence will in some way help the family come to terms with this tragic event and move forward with their lives.

"O'Callaghan has today been sentenced to life imprisonment and is to serve a minimum term of 21-years.  However, no matter how long the prison sentence is, we acknowledge that nothing can make up for the loss felt by the family and friends of Aaron.  Our thoughts are very much with them at this time."

Senior Investigating Officer Detective Chief Inspector Steve Tolmie said: "The murder of any person is always tragic and traumatic particularly for the family and friends.

"Aaron Buron died after he protected the girlfriend of O'Callaghan when she was attacked by him. O'Callaghan then went to the kitchen and armed himself with a knife before he went outside looking for Aaron.

"O'Callaghan has shown no remorse and no concern for the taking of a life of another man in such a violent way.

"When he was arrested he told lies and told investigating officers he was not involved. Only at the eleventh hour, and days before this trial started, did he admit the killing but attempted to mislead the jury and minimise his involvement by insinuating that he was blind drunk and could not remember.

"O'Callaghan is a violent and dangerous man. He has no morals and has contributed little to society. Any person that arms themselves with a knife and then purposely seeks their victim intending to use the knife must be imprisoned for a long time for the safety of the public.

"I wish to publically thank those witnesses that assisted with the investigation and had the moral strength to attend court and provide the necessary evidence."