Man sentenced following Murray Thompson murder trial


Watford man James Evans was today, Friday, 28 September 2012, sentenced to life imprisonment and is to serve a minimum of 21-years in prison for the murder of Murray Thompson.

James Evans, aged 24, of Bushey Mill Lane, Watford, was yesterday, Thursday, 27 September 2012, found guilty at St Albans Crown Court of Murray's murder, two counts of perverting the course of justice, and conspiracy to produce cannabis following a 7-week trial.

A second man, Lee Sullivan, aged 48, of Hudson Close, Watford, was found guilty of perverting the course of justice and three counts of intimidation of witnesses, and pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to conspiracy to producing cannabis. He was sentenced today to 8-years imprisonment.

A third man was found guilty at an earlier trial in November 2011 of perverting the course of justice, conspiracy to produce cannabis and intimidation of a witness. Amit Agar, aged 32, of Parkfield, Chorleywood, was sentenced to 7-years imprisonment and ordered to pay £50,000 costs.

Murray, aged 34, went missing on 20 April 2010. Detectives from the joint Beds, Herts and Cambs Major Crime Unit set about investigating his disappearance and were able to prove Murray was murdered in a flat in St Albans Road, Watford, although his body has never been found.

Following the verdict yesterday, Murray's father, Tony Thompson said: "This has been a long ordeal, with two trials over a combined 14-weeks of court. I'm naturally pleased with the verdict. I hope now we can start moving on with our lives.  However, Murray is still daily in our thoughts. Until we put him to rest, it'll always be nagging in our minds about where he is.

"I would like to thank DI Kent and his team for their hard work and persistence over the past two and a half years, and QC John Price and his assistant Sandra Beck for being so supportive throughout the trial.  I'd also like to thank my friends for their daily phone calls and support at court, as well as the jury for their patience and dedication to the trial."

A press release detailing the case history and including quotes from the CPS and police was published on this website yesterday, Thursday, 27 September 2012, following the two guilty verdicts.