Man receives 20-year jail term for murder - Milton Keynes


A 31-year-old man was jailed for a minimum of 20-years yesterday, Wednesday 21 March 2012, after being found guilty of murdering 33-year-old David Law at his home in Walnut Tree, Milton Keynes.

Suresh Kumar Nahar, of Gurnards Avenue, Fishermead, was found guilty of murder yesterday, Tuesday, 20 March 2012, by a jury at Luton Crown Court, following a trial.

David died from multiple stab wounds after being attacked by Nahar in the garden of his home in Lichfield Down, at about 8pm on 05 September 2011.

An off-duty police officer was among those to raise the alarm after hearing sounds of a disturbance within a property in Lichfield Down. He climbed over a fence into the garden of David's home, where he saw David lying on the ground and Nahar crouched down and leaning over him.

During the disturbance other witnesses described hearing David saying he had been stabbed and calling out for help.

David was taken to Milton Keynes General Hospital, but died from his injuries. A post-mortem examination found he died from multiple stab wounds.

Nahar, who was a former work colleague of David's, was arrested at the scene. As he had suffered injuries to his face, he was taken to Stoke Mandeville Hospital for treatment.

David, who was born in Leicestershire but who moved to the Milton Keynes area with his family in 1983, had a 13-year-old son, who he was very close to.

Baljit Ubhey OBE, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), said: "We have worked closely with the police since this murder investigation was launched.  This was a brutal crime where David Law was viciously attacked by Suresh Kumar Nahar.

"The jury spent just 90 minutes deliberating before they returned a guilty verdict of murder. The conviction means that the jury was in no doubt that Nahar killed David, despite his denials.

"David's family sat through the trial, in dignified silence.  They will never have the satisfaction of knowing why David died, as the defendant did not give evidence.

"As a result of the hard work and diligence by the prosecution team, a just outcome has been achieved for the victim and his family and friends.  We hope that the conviction and sentence will in some way help them in their struggle to come to terms with this tragic event.  Our thoughts are very much with them at this time."

Detective Inspector Phil Murphy, Senior Investigating Officer, said: "David has been described to us by his family, friends and work colleagues as a nice guy who never looked for trouble. He was close to his son, who he saw often.

"While we may never know Nahar's true motive in going to David's home that night, he appears to have at the very least intended to take advantage of David's better nature, as we know Nahar had financial problems.

"We are pleased with the verdict returned by the jury and the fact the sentencing has taken all the circumstances into account."