Man jailed in his absence for house party assault - Luton


A Polish man, who launched a drunken attack on a fellow countryman at a party in Luton, was jailed for 5 years in his absence today, Tuesday, 17 May 2016.

Dariusz Soska, aged 29, who is believed to be back home in Poland, was not present for his trial at Luton Crown Court. Judge Michael Kay QC ordered the case to take place without Soska after hearing that he could not be traced.

Prosecutor Jasmine Ferguson said Soska repeatedly punched the victim outside the house party in Limbury Road on 22 February 2014. "It is a case of drunken violence where one man at a party hit another so hard and so many times he broke his jaw," she said.

The victim told the jury that there were about seven people present in the living room, talking and listening to music. He said he was drinking whisky and coke and the atmosphere was very good. He went on: "Dariusz started to have problems with me. He started insulting me - calling me a thief and a crook. I think he had had too much to drink. I asked him to stop insulting me because he didn't know me. I didn't understand why he was calling me these names."

There was a confrontation in the house in which the two men were separated. The victim went outside, but was followed by Soska, who punched him and pushed him to the ground. There, he punched him a number of times to the face, before he was pulled away. The victim was taken to the Luton and Dunstable Hospital, where he was treated for a broken jaw. Two metal plates were inserted. They have now been removed, but he still suffers from numbness over two years on.

When the police questioned Soska, he made no comment, but at the end of the interview he said: "I didn't touch him."

Soska, previously of Connaught Road, Luton, denied causing grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent on the night of 22 February 2014, but he was convicted by a jury of 7 women and 5 men. He had a previous conviction from 2008 for common assault.

Sean Smith, defending, conducted the defence in Soska's absence. After the conviction he told the court: "We may discover where he is in due course. If we were to place bets there is a very strong suspicion he is in Poland."

Passing sentence, Judge Kay said the case was "depressingly familiar" with drink taking over. He said: "It was a sustained assault on the victim, who suffered serious injury."

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.