Man jailed for string of offences - Hertfordshire


A young man said to have been depressed and stressed after the break up of a relationship, committed a string of offences after finding himself homeless and suffering from the effects of valium and alcohol.

Homeless Karim Smyth tried to drag his ex out of a pub in Waltham Cross last November after walking into The Plough and threatening customers who tried to intervene with a wheel brace. He was eventually disarmed but then hurled a plant pot at the pub's window.

Then in February of this year while watching football and drinking in a friend's home in Macers Court, Wormley he injured a man with pair of scissors after a row broke out. The victim suffered a minor puncture wound to his left arm.

St Albans Crown Court was told also in February of this year he attacked a man in a Hoddesdon street with a metal pole. He got away in a car he was using after driving at the victim forcing him to jump out if the way.

In March of this year he turned up at the home of an ex partner despite the fact there was a court order in place forbidding him to contact her. He went into her home and told her to call a taxi for him. After he had left the woman contacted police and he was eventually located in the Edmonton area. The court was told on the journey he had assaulted the driver.

Smyth, aged 28, pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm (GBH), dangerous driving, two offences of common assault, breaching a non molestation order and driving with no insurance.

Paul Webb, defending, said his client had been suffering from depression and stress after a long term relationship had come to an end. He said Smyth who was homeless had been self-medicating with alcohol and Valium which had affected his behaviour in the latter part of last year and early this year and had little recollection of committing the offences. Mr Webb said Smyth had had a difficult start and had spent much of his childhood in care. The barrister said the defendant realised custody was inevitable but was now determined to put "this appaling behaviour behind him" and was positive about the future.

Recorder Patrick Fields told Smyth he had a "sad history" but said custody was inevitable. He jailed him for 39 months, disqualified him from driving for two years and told him he will have to take an extended driving test before he drives again.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.