Man jailed for murdering woman - Bishop's Stortford


A man appeared at St Albans Crown Court today, Monday, 08 June 2015, and was jailed for life and to serve a minimum term of 22 years for the murder of Sally Campion in Bishop’s Stortford last year.

Matthew Keough, aged 44, of no fixed address, was sentenced after pleading guilty to the murder via video link at the same court on 19 May 2015. He also received a two year concurrent sentence for breaching a restraining order.

Sally was found with serious injuries at her home address in Bartholomew Road, Bishop's Stortford on 02 July 2014. She died the following day having sustained serious head injuries.

The court heard that Keough had defied an order banning him from her home. He was arrested at the train station shortly after the incident occurred.

Adrian Foster, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), said: "This case involved the untimely death of 45-year-old Sally Campion at her home in Bishop's Stortford last July. Her life was brought to a premature end by her ex-partner Matthew Keough.

"On the evening of 02 July 2014, Sally was found with serious injuries to her head and face and taken to Addenbrookes Hospital where she died the following day. Keough had gone to her home in breach of a restraining order and fuelled with alcohol and viciously attacked her with a hammer. He is clearly a very violent and dangerous man.

"Keough had previously pleaded not guilty to Sally's murder and was due to stand trial, but on Tuesday, 19 May 2015, he changed his plea to guilty.

"We have worked closely with Hertfordshire Constabulary since this investigation was launched and as a result of the hard work and diligence of the prosecution team, a just outcome has been achieved.

"We know that nothing will bring Sally back to her family and friends, but we hope that the conviction and today's sentence brings them at least a small sense that justice has been done. Our thoughts are very much with them all at this time."

Detective Chief Inspector Jo Walker, the senior investigating officer in the case, based within the Major Crime Unit, said: "Understandably, this is an extremely difficult time for Sally's family, but thankfully they have been spared the ordeal of having to listen to evidence during a trial.

"The injuries Matthew Keough inflicted on Sally were horrific and the actions of a controlling and violent man who gave no thought to the devastating impact of his actions. The sentence given to him reflects the seriousness of his actions and should keep a violent man off the streets for a considerable period of time."