Man jailed for murder of Connor Tremble - Oxford


A man appeared at Oxford Crown Court today, Friday, 29 August 2014, and was jailed for life and to serve a minimum of 23 years for the murder of 17-year-old Connor Tremble.

William Blencowe, aged 21, of Oxford Road, Banbury, was found guilty yesterday, Thursday, 28 August 2014, of the murder by a jury following a 3-week trial at Oxford Crown Court.

On the evening of 13 February 2014, Blencowe took a train from Banbury to Oxford and a taxi to Connor's flat in Fairacres Road, Oxford where he stabbed him multiple times before fleeing.

Connor was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford where he died of his injuries on 15 February.

Police traced Blencowe to a guest house in Stratford-upon-Avon and arrested him on suspicion of attempted murder on 14 February.  Blencowe was further arrested for murder following Connor's death and charged with the offence on 17 February.

Two other defendants, Bradley Jones, aged 21, of New Road, Bledington, and Grant Clemens, aged 24, of Stockwells, Moreton-in-Marsh, who were on trial with Blencowe accused of perverting the course of justice, were both found not guilty.

Adrian Foster, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: "This case involved the tragic murder of 17-year-old Connor Tremble.

"Yesterday, despite his denials and defences of self-defence and diminished responsibility, the jury found William Blencowe guilty of Connor's premeditated and violent murder. His motivation for killing Connor was pure jealousy.  Blencowe attended the scene armed with a knife and is undoubtedly an extremely ruthless and dangerous man.

"We have worked closely with Thames Valley Police since this investigation began and as a result of the hard work and diligence of the prosecution team, a just outcome has been achieved.

"This case is a tragedy for Connor's family and friends who have been devastated by his death. I would like to pay tribute to them for their wholehearted support of this investigation and the dignity they displayed while hearing the horrific details surrounding Connor's murder.

"We know that nothing will bring Connor back, but we hope that the conviction and today's sentence brings his family and friends at least a small sense that justice has been done. Our thoughts are very much with them all at this time."

Senior investigating officer, Detective Chief Inspector Mark Glover, from Thames Valley Police's Major Crime Unit, said: "Blencowe cruelly took the life of Connor, who was aged just 17, in a pre-planned unprovoked attack fuelled by jealousy.

"This conviction is a tragic reminder of the dangers of knife crime and its human cost and the sentence reflects the severity of the crime Blencowe has committed.

"Throughout this process Blencowe showed no remorse for his actions which lead to Connor's death.  Blencowe did nothing to help police with the investigation and will now have a long time in prison to reflect upon his actions.

"My thoughts remain with Connor's family and I hope the conviction and sentence brings some resolution to them."