Man jailed for murder - Arborfield


A 30-year-old man has today, Tuesday, 08 October 2013, been jailed for life and will serve a minimum of 25 years for the murder of mother-of-three Krishnamaya Mabo.

Glen John Nelson, of Eversley Road, Arborfield, appeared via video link at Reading Crown Court today, where he pleaded guilty to murder and attempted rape.

Nelson attacked 39-year-old Krishnamaya, a Nepalese national, sometime on the afternoon of Sunday, 02 June, as she went for a walk in woodland near her home in Arborfield.

When she didn't return home, her husband Thaluman reported her as missing to police and a search of the local area was carried out.

At just after 1pm on Monday, 03 June, a volunteer helping with the search found Krishnamaya's body by a tree in an area known as Long Copse.

A post-mortem examination, carried out by a Home Office pathologist, concluded she died from asphyxiation.

Baljit Ubhey OBE, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: "This case involved the tragic murder of Krishnamaya Mabo by a stranger just a short distance from her home.

"Stranger murders, where the attacker is not known to the victim, are extremely rare. Mrs Mabo, who had gone out for a walk, had the misfortune to come across Glen Nelson. We may never know for sure what happened, or why Nelson murdered Mrs Mabo, but what we do know is that Nelson is an extremely dangerous man.

"We have worked closely with Thames Valley Police since this investigation was launched. Nelson was quickly identified as a suspect, arrested, interviewed, and charged following advice from our Complex Casework Unit. The overwhelming evidence against Nelson has led to his guilty pleas today.

"This case represents a tragedy for the family of Mrs Mabo. The victim was married with three children.  Her family and friends have been devastated by her untimely death.

"As a result of the hard work and diligence of the prosecution team, a just outcome has been achieved. We know that nothing will bring Mrs Mabo back to her family, but we hope that today's conviction and sentence brings them at least a small sense that justice has been done. Our thoughts are very much with them at this time."

Senior Investigating Officer Detective Chief Inspector Gill Wootton said: "This was a disturbing stranger incident in which a woman walking on her own was attacked and tragically murdered by a man whose actions were clearly sexually motivated.

"Nelson had already approached a woman earlier the same day and made indecent suggestions and comments towards her.

"Stranger murders like this are an extremely rare occurrence, but when they do happen, they naturally cause a great deal of anxiety and concern.

"Following the discovery of Krishnamaya's body, Nelson was swiftly identified as a suspect and was arrested later the same day.

"When he was interviewed, Nelson initially denied he was responsible for the murder, but due to the growing weight of evidence against him he eventually made a full confession.

"Krishnamaya was a loving wife and mother and her untimely death has had a devastating impact on those close to her, including her family, friends and the wider Nepalese community.

"I would like to pay tribute to Krishnamaya's family for their wholehearted support of our investigation and I am pleased they have been spared the ordeal of sitting through a trial and can take some comfort in the fact her killer is now behind bars."

Nelson was also sentenced to six years in prison for the charge of attempted rape, which will run concurrently.