Man jailed for luring ex-girlfriend to towpath to rob her


Odious Anthony Binfield lured an ex-girlfriend to a canal towpath in Kings Langley so a new girlfriend could beat her up.

Twenty year old Binfield then snatched his ex's phone from her.

Binfield had tricked his 15-year-old ex into believing he wanted to get back with her and, after hugging, steered her towards the tow path off Red Lion Lane in Kings Langley.

But it was a cruel hoax and, as he walked off with his current flame, he told his ex "Get out of my face, I don't want anything to do with you."

Later, after police had been contacted by the victim, officers went to his home in Waterside, Kings Langley and found the BlackBerry phone he had taken from the teenager.

At St Albans Crown Court today, Friday, 30 November 2012, Binfield appeared in custody for sentence after admitting a charge of robbery.

The court was told the 17-year-old girl who attacked his ex had been dealt with and received a 12 month referral order. She was also made to pay the 15-year-old £500 compensation.

Anne Evans for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the 15-year-old had been in a relationship with Binfield, but had ended it. The defendant had then begun seeing another girl and the court was told "catty" exchanges had passed between the girls via Facebook.

The court heard that the day before the robbery the victim had received a a message from the 17-year-old which said "You were right about him, I should have listened to you." Not long afterwards the victim and Binfield exchanged messages and they arranged to meet up the following afternoon on Sunday, 21 October this year.

The next day they met up as planned, the court was told, and Binfield gave his ex a hug and told her he'd missed her. Telling her he was taking her to see his sister, he then led her to the nearby canal towpath where the 17-year-old was waiting.

Judge Marie Catterson said that Binfield pushed the 15-year-old so that she fell over and the other girl then kicked her in the head and punched her before he knelt down and snatched her phone. The pair then walked off leaving the girl in tears.

Binfield, the court was told, had notched up 16 previous court appearance for a total of 30 offences since 2006 for a variety of offences including causing suffering to an animal.

Judge Catterson was told Binfield had taken the girl's phone in the "heat of the moment" and it hadn't been planned.

Sending him to a young offenders' institution for the next 20 months, the judge told Binfield "This was odious behaviour. You lured your former girlfriend to the place where this happened."

She said he's shown "little sign of remorse."

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.