Man jailed for life for murder - Luton


A man, who stabbed a cannabis dealer to death, was found guilty of his murder this afternoon, Thursday, 22 October 2015, and given a life sentence.

Jason Nelson, aged 32, was told he must serve a minimum term of 27 years behind bars before he can be considered for parole.

Nelson plunged a knife four times into Jordan Maguire. Jordan, who was 20-years-old, managed to stagger out of his house in Thrales Close in Luton only to collapse on the ground. He lived with his mother, Julie, and she found him dying moments later as she returned to the house. The court heard she cradled him in her arms as he died.

After his death, Jordan's long term girlfriend, Laura O'Neill, discovered she was pregnant and nine months later gave birth to their baby daughter. Today, before Nelson was sentenced, Laura read an emotional statement to the court about the impact the loss of Jordan has had on her and his family. She said her daughter had been robbed of her father and she said she dreaded the day in the future when she would have to tell her daughter what had happened to her father.

Nelson was found guilty of the murder of Jordan Maguire on 26 May 2013, by a jury of seven men and five women at Luton Crown Court. The jury found him not guilty of sexually assaulting a woman in her 20s on the same day and raping a 60-year-old grandmother shortly afterwards.

The prosecution had alleged Nelson had attacked the women on the Marsh Farm estate in Luton during the early evening of that day. Later at around 7.30pm Nelson met a couple who were looking to buy cannabis. He took them to Jordan Maguire's home in Thrales Close. The woman stayed outside while Nelson and the man went in. They agreed on a £20 cannabis deal, which Nelson would share with the couple. Jordan produced a biscuit tin containing bags of cannabis. Suddenly, and without warning, Nelson produced a black handled knife with a 7- to 8-inch blade which he raised above his head. He stabbed Jordan in the right upper chest. As Jordan ran out towards the back door, Nelson stabbed him again.

The stab wound to the chest had punctured Jordan's aorta and he was fatally injured. He was found in the street by his mother who was returning home. She dialled 999, but it was too late, nothing could be done.

Nelson placed the knife in his waistband and left. He went to stay with a girlfriend in Ipswich for two weeks before flying from Gatwick to his native Grenada. He moved on to Trinidad where he was arrested on 16 October 2013, before being extradited back to the UK.

Nelson, who had lived on the Marsh Farm Estate in Luton, pleaded not guilty to sexual assault, rape and murder on Sunday, 26 May 2013.

Passing sentence, Judge Michael Kay QC told Nelson: "you are an extremely violent and dangerous man."

The court heard Nelson had previous convictions back in Grenada for gang related violence when he had used a machete in 2005 as well as a scythe in a violent robbery of a tourist on the island in 2007.

The Judge said he was satisfied Nelson had taken the knife with him to Jordan's home and the real motive for the murder had not come out in court. He said the evidence suggested that at the time of his death Jordan Maguire had "gone off the rails" and was involved in drug dealing. But, said the Judge, it was possible Jordan could have turned his life around and "straightened himself out" especially if he had found out he was to be a father with all the responsibilities that would bring. "All those possibilities have been lost," he told Nelson. He jailed Nelson for life and told him he would have to serve a minimum term of 27 years.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.