Man jailed for knife attack – Luton


Ian Bunce was jailed for four and a half years on Thursday, 21 February 2013, for slashing the face of his sister's former partner with a knife.

The 28-year-old from Houghton Regis confronted Carl Lewis in Albert Road, Luton after hearing he was coming round to fight him.

He swung a butcher's-style machete knife at Mr Lewis, causing a wound which needed 19 stitches, Luton crown court heard.

Prosecutor Daniel Siong said: "It was a square knife with a 6 to 8 inch blade which he swung in a sideways motion to the victim's face. It was a single blow, which just missed the eye. The defendant ran off." The victim required 10 stitches to his face and 9 to his nose.

The two men had traded angry text messages after Carl Lewis's relationship with his sister Shareen had soured.

After hearing that Mr Lewis had assaulted his sister, Bunce sent him text messages saying: "This time you won't be walking away" and "It's just a matter of time."

Outlining the background to the attack, Mr Siong said that after the death of their 10 week old daughter the couple suffered "stress and grief", which led to Carl Lewis moving out of the family home. Ian Bunce, who had been a friend of Carl Lewis, became involved in the row and there was "an exchange of abuse."

When he was arrested on 2 October, five days after the attack, Bunce said: "Who's Carl Lewis?"

Bunce of Trident Drive, Houghton Regis, pleaded guilty to wounding with intent and having a bladed article on the morning of 27 September last year. He had one previous conviction for common assault during a pub fight in 2003 and one for criminal damage in 2010.

Matthew Lippard, defending, said: "We wouldn't be here had it not been for the knife. They had been arguing over the phone. Mr Lewis had been seen to assault the defendant's sister. He wrongly decided to pick up a knife after his sister went to him."

Judge David Farrell QC told him: "He was in a relationship with your sister. The relationship soured following the sad death of the baby. There was an exchange of abuse. It was not all one way.

"Mr Lewis had been drinking and was prepared to come and fight you. You went way beyond what was lawful. You should have have locked the door and dialled 999. What you did was to arm yourself with a large knife, went out into the street and hit him, causing a severe wound. "

The judge passed a restraining order banning Bunce from contacting his victim in any way.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency,who retain the copyright for all articles published.