Man jailed for hotel assault and theft - Luton


A Luton man has today, Monday, 18 January 2016, been jailed for five-and-a-half years after a court heard how he assaulted a guest staying at the easyHotel in Luton and took the victim's car.

It was just a number of crimes Saul Murray, aged 27, was pleading guilty to when he appeared in custody via a video link at Luton Crown Court. He pleaded guilty to two offences of common assault, taking a vehicle without consent and possessing an imitation firearm.

Appearing alongside him from the prison was Callum Delpratt, aged 19, from Luton who admitted an offence of theft.

The court heard how late on Wednesday, 08 July last year, a man was walking through a car park in Downs Road, Luton when he was grabbed around the neck by Murray and pulled to the ground. With Murray that night was Delpratt and when the victim's wallet dropped out of his pocket, Delpratt took the opportunity to grab it. Judge Richard Foster hearing the case was told the wallet contained £240 in cash.

Murray next struck in the early hours of 12 September last year when he knocked on the door of a guest staying at the easyHotel in Luton. When the man opened the door, Murray, who on this occasion was on his own, assaulted him and snatched the keys to his car which he was subsequently able to drive off in.

Two days later when Murray was arrested by police, he was found to be is possession of an imitation firearm that had been converted so that it could fire live ammunition.

Judge Foster was told that Murray of Heswall Court, Bailey Street, Luton had five previous convictions including a firearms offence. But the court was told he was now determined to break the cycle of offending and go straight upon his release.

Delpratt of Brokton Close, Luton was said to have acted on the spur of the moment in taking the wallet and had repayed his victim through his own wages. At the time of the offence he had been on licence having served a 21 month sentence for attempted robbery. The court heard because of the new offence he had been immediately recalled back to prison.

Passing sentence, Judge Foster jailed Murray for five-and-a-half years. He sentenced Delpratt to two months imprisonment and told him that on his release he will be on supervision for a year.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.