Man jailed for GBH - Luton


A 28-year-old man from Belgium was sentenced at Luton Crown Court on Monday, 10 December 2012, to eight years imprisonment after pleading guilty to section 18 Grievous Bodily Harm.

Suleman Babar, from Rikensart in Brussels was arrested after officers from Bedfordshire Police applied for an extradition order, and on the direction of the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), charged him with the attempted murder of a 28-year-old Luton man.

The court heard how Babar and another man travelled to Luton from their home in Belgium to confront the victim about a relationship he was having with a female member of their family.

The confrontation happened in Brooms Road, Luton, on 27 December 2010, when the victim was outside his home. During the confrontation the victim sustained serious stab wounds to his abdomen and neck.

Both men were caught on camera on their journey back to Belgium the same day and this evidence was pivotal to the extradition order being granted.

At the hearing on Monday, Babar pleaded guilty to Section 18 GBH and this was accepted by the court. A second man charged in connection with the offence was released after no evidence was offered to the court on Monday.

Baljit Ubhey OBE, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern CPS said: "This was a planned and premeditated attack. The victim in this case was attacked because he was having a relationship with the wrong woman in the eyes of members of the woman's family. In that sense it was an 'honour attack' to protect the perceived status of the woman's family, to mark their disapproval of the woman's relationship with the man they deemed unsuitable.

"Honour crimes affect the health of families and, in fact, the whole community. There is no honour in these types of offences, and no circumstances in which the CPS and the police will not prosecute with the utmost rigour those who commit crimes in the name of so-called honour.

"This case illustrates the determination of the police and CPS to bring all such perpetrators to justice. We hope that this investigation, prosecution, and sentence will deter others who may wish to harm their own family members or others, because of practices that are as tragic as they are outdated."

Speaking after hearing of the sentence, Detective Sergeant Steve Facer, who led the investigation, said: "This was a violent attack by someone who had no regard for the law or whether his victim lived or died.

"After a painstaking investigation over many months, which gathered significant evidence from various sources, we were able to apply for the extradition order, so justice could be served.

"This case illustrates the lengths Bedfordshire Police will go to in order to catch offenders and the sentencing sends a clear message out to all those people who believe that violence is acceptable that violence will not be tolerated under any circumstances by Bedfordshire Police and when you are caught you will face the full force of the law."