Man jailed for child sex abuse - Bedfordshire

11/11/2016

A man, who committed 'horrific and vile' child sex abuse, was today, Friday, 11 November 2016 jailed for 21 years.

Paul Scott, aged 63, had arranged for groups of men to visit a house in Bedfordshire to rape a young boy on many occasions.

Judge Stuart Bridge told him that the jury at Luton Crown Court had heard an account that was 'depraved and harrowing.' He said: "You were cold, callous and calculating. Some of the men involved finally told you it had to stop and called you a monster. They were absolutely right."

Scott, from Wickenfields, Ware, had pleaded not guilty to seven charges involving the rape of a child under 13. He was found guilty of six of them after a trial in October. He pleaded guilty to possessing indecent images of children and breaching a Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

During the trial, the jury heard the offences spanned a number of years, possibly as many as three, ending in 2009. They came to light when the boy made a complaint earlier this year. He told investigators that he had been given something to make him sleepy before the abuse took place.

Marion Smullen, defending, told the court on Friday. "The defendant maintains very strongly that he is not guilty. Obviously he is going to prison for a very lengthy time and it will not be a soft option for him."

Scott had been jailed in 2011 for three years and nine months for making, possessing and distributing images of child abuse.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.