Man jailed for causing death by careless driving - Hemel Hempstead

26/08/2015

A man appeared at St Albans Crown Court today, Wednesday, 26 August 2015, and was jailed for nine months following a serious road traffic collision which occurred in Hemel Hempstead last year (2014) and resulted in the death of a teenager. He was also disqualified from driving for two years and must take an extended driving test before driving again.

The collision occurred at around 8.25pm on 22 August 2014, in Jupiter Drive, Hemel Hempstead.  Fazan Ahmed, aged 16, was hit by a blue Ford Focus being driven by Andrew Lane.  Fazan suffered multiple injuries and was taken to hospital where he died two days later.

Andrew Lane, aged 21, from Stoney Close, Northchurch, failed to stop at the scene of the collision, leaving Fazan for dead. A large scale manhunt by Hertfordshire police officers, with the support of Fazan's family, commenced and on 28 August 2014, Mr Lane was arrested after handing himself in to police. At the time, Andrew Lane had been driving without insurance.

He was subsequently charged and on 28 July 2015, he pleaded guilty at St Albans Crown Court to causing the death of Fazan by careless driving.

Adrian Foster, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: "This case involved a terrible incident, which led to the untimely death of 16-year-old Fazan Ahmed. This was a tragic waste of life and one which could have been avoided.

"At about 8.20pm on Friday, 22 August 2014, Fazan was playing football with four of his cousins when Andrew Lane drove his vehicle too fast around a bend on Jupiter Drive, Hemel Hempstead and collided with Fazan, who had just stepped into the road to recover the ball.  Fazan was taken to St Mary's hospital, London where he died two days later from his injuries.  Lane failed to stop, failed to report the collision and was uninsured.

"Lane handed himself into police six days after the collision, and made no comment during police interviews, but gave a prepared statement claiming the collision was unavoidable.  However, he recognised that justice had caught up with him and on Tuesday, 28 July 2015, at St Albans Crown Court, due to the strength of the evidence against him, he pleaded guilty.

"We have worked closely with Hertfordshire Constabulary since this investigation began and as a result of the hard work and diligence of the prosecution team, a just outcome has been achieved. We know that nothing will bring Fazan back to his family and friends, but we hope that today's sentence brings them at least a small sense that justice has been done. Our thoughts are very much with them all at this time."

PC Dave Clarke from the Road Crash Investigation Unit said: "Firstly I would like to thank Fazan's family for their support throughout this investigation. As you can imagine, they have been through an extremely traumatic time and I am grateful for all they have done to assist us, particularly in the early stages when they made appeals through the media.

"Whilst nothing can bring Fazan back to them, I hope that seeing justice delivered today may be of some comfort to them.

"I would also like to thank all of the officers and staff involved during the course of this investigation for their hard work and professionalism in dealing with this case."