Man jailed for breaching restraining order - Hemel Hempstead


A judge jailed a Hemel Hempstead man for 18 months today, Wednesday, 24 April 2013, telling him his behaviour was "habitually brutal, selfish, violent and bullying."

Judge John Plumstead was speaking after hearing how Mark Robson had defied a restraining order and attacked his former partner.

Robson, 45, had downed nine pints before attacking Rachel Welling in Ollies Bar in the town. He then struggled with and assaulted two police officers, who had been called out to arrest him.

Prosecutor Michael Attenborough told St Albans Crown Court that Robson met Rachel Welling on 23 December 2011, and their relationship lasted until July last year when he received an eight month sentence for battering her, using violence to enter a property and sending indecent or threatening messages.

A restraining order, lasting until August 2014, was imposed for further offences of harassment and common assault by West Herts Magistrates, who also passed a six month jail sentence suspended for two years.

Then on 13 December last year Robson was in Ollies Bar when, despite the restraining order, he called Ms Welling and asked her to join him. Mr Attenborough said she went to the bar and at first Robson was in a good mood. Later that night he became "horrible" saying he had nowhere to stay in the town and threatened to attack one of her former partners.

He bent her wrist and pushed her to the floor and straddled her. He made as if he was going to punch her, but did not.

The bar supervisor, Kerry Kennedy intervened and pulled Robson away. He left the bar and was arrested nearby by PC Kate Rickard and PS Jordan Fox. He had tried to head butt PS Fox and, in the struggle, PC Rickard cut a finger.

Robson of Kimpton Close, Hemel appeared for sentence having pleaded guilty to breaching a restraining order and three counts of assault. He admitted he was in breach of the suspended sentence.

Defence barrister Puneet Rai said that since he had been remanded in custody in December he had been sober. She said that while in custody Robson had received a Valentine's card from his victim and that he had been attending alcohol courses. She asked that he receive another suspended sentence, so that he could take up a job as a ground worker.

But the judge said he deserved an immediate jail term. He sentenced him to nine months for breaching the restraining order, three months consecutive for the assaults and added the six months from the suspended sentence.

He told him: "You have shown habitually brutal, selfish, violent and bullying conduct."

The judge added that the bar supervisor Mr Kennedy deserved his "admiration" for intervening that night.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.