Man jailed for breaching restraining order - Bedford

17/08/2012

A drug addict who had been befriended by a woman twice his age, repeatedly broke restraining orders which banned him from contacting her.

Fasal Ali, 30, would bombard her with calls and turn up at her home in Bedford, being aggressive and pleading for money.

Even less than a month after being given a suspended prison sentence for harassment and assault he lurked in her home and battered her ex husband with a chair when he ordered him out.

But on Friday, 17 August 2012, at Luton Crown Court he was jailed for two years and a further restraining order was made.

Judge Jeffrey Burke QC said: "This lady is plainly vulnerable because of the obvious sympathy she has for you which you have betrayed time and time again.

"You have used her as a source of obtaining money to fund your substance abuse and you have a desire to control her."

Ali, of Howard Street, Bedford, pleaded guilty to two charges of breaching a restraining order, one charge of assault by beating, and admitted being in breach of a suspended sentence.

Claudette Elliott, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said the 64-year-old woman had taken refuge away from her home as she no longer felt safe there. She told police that she gave him money because she was afraid of him.

Richard Ricks, defending said he had been addicted to drugs from a young age, but did manage for a year to run an eco friendly company set up with the help of the Princes Trust, but then he relapsed. He hoped to relaunch it on his release from prison.

The judge said the victim had written an "articulate, caring and considerate letter to the court blaming everything on his drug addiction."

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.