Man jailed for attempted murder and rape - Slough


A man appeared at Reading Crown Court today, Friday, 16 September 2016, and was jailed for 22 years for the attempted murder and rape of a woman in Slough.

Damian Kazimierczak, aged 19, of Salt Hill Way, Slough, was sentenced today after being found guilty on 08 July 2016, at Reading Crown Court, of attempted murder and rape, following a 2-week trial.

In addition to the custodial sentence, he was given an extended sentence of four years on licence and was also ordered to sign the Sex Offenders' Register for life.

Between 2am and 3am on 28 December last year, Kazimierczak attacked a 36-year-old woman in Salt Hill Park in Slough. The victim sustained serious facial and neck injuries that required immediate medical attention followed by operations. She remained in hospital for several days after the assault.

Kazimierczak, who was not known to police in the UK or in his birthplace Poland, was arrested on the 9 January and charged with the offences on 10 January this year.

Adrian Foster, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: "This case involved the attempted murder and rape of a woman in Salt Hill Park, Slough in December last year.

"The victim, a woman in her 30s, was walking past the Absolutely Ten Pin entrance of the park in the early hours of 28 December 2015, when she met Damian Kazimierczak, aged 19, from Salt Hill Way, Slough. The two spoke briefly before he grabbed her and threw her to the ground in some bushes. Kazimiercazk then launched a vicious attack, striking the prone victim multiple times to the face before strangling her into unconsciousness and then raping her.

"The victim woke up some time later. She was able to, stagger out of the park and flag down a member of the public, who called the emergency services. The victim required surgery for a range of injuries including a broken jaw, broken nose, fractured hyoid (neck bone), and swelling/bruising to her eyes, lips, tongue, temple, neck and collar bone.

"Kazimierczak had left the scene, but, via CCTV, the police were able to trace his movements during the evening and to the entrance of the park. Further police work forensically linked Kazimierzak to the scene of the offence and clothing recovered from his home address was found to have the victim's blood on it.

"Kazimierczak answered 'no comment' during police interviews, but later claimed that he paid the victim for consensual sexual activity and left her in good health; indicating that someone else was responsible for her injuries. However, notwithstanding these denials, on 08 July 2016, at Reading Crown Court, he was found guilty of attempted murder and rape, following a 2-week trial.

"This was a planned, targeted and violent stranger rape. Kazimierczak is clearly an extremely ruthless, predatory and dangerous man.

"This case highlights the commitment of the police and CPS to prosecute cases involving violence against women. The CPS will work closely with partners, as we did with Thames Valley Police in this case, to ensure that robust criminal cases are put before the courts.

"This prosecution would not have been possible without the courage of the victim, who was willing to support proceedings. The physical and emotional impact on her of the abhorrent actions of Kazimierczak is impossible to quantify. I hope that the conviction and today's sentence will offer her some comfort. Our thoughts are very much with her at this time."

Senior investigating officer, Detective Superintendent Kevin Brown, said: "This was a vicious attack which left the victim with severe injuries, as well as mental scars that cannot be healed. She was brutally beaten about the head, strangled with such force as to break a bone in her neck and raped whilst unconscious by Kazimierczak before he left her for dead.

"Kazimierczak has always maintained the attack was down to another unknown individual.

"However, given the overwhelming evidence compiled by the investigating team including the compelling forensic evidence of the victim's blood being found on his shoes, Kazimierczak was found guilty by the jury in July this year and today he has been sentenced for his terrible crimes.

"I would like to thank the victim for her courage throughout this investigation and subsequent court case and I hope that the sentence today gives her some comfort.

"I would also like to show appreciation to the jury members who made their decision having considered carefully the evidence in a difficult and complex court case. The public are now protected from this clearly dangerous man.

"Understandably, the offences had an impact on the community, especially those who live near and use the Salt Hill Park. I would like to thank the public for their cooperation during our investigation."