Man jailed for assault at pub - Luton


A Houghton Regis plumber who smashed a champagne bottle onto the head of another drinker in a Luton pub was jailed for 6 years today, Tuesday, 04 June 2013.

Leon Warner, 29, was angry about a comment made to him in the White House pub when he attacked Ryan Simmons.

Mr Simmons, who did not know his attacker and had not made the remark, had stood up to leave the bar with his girlfriend when he felt a heavy blow to the back of his head, Luton Crown Court heard today.

Beverly Cripps, prosecuting for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS),  said he had been hit with a bottle of Veuve Clicquot. As blood poured from his head, Mr Simmons was able to block another blow with his left hand while and his girlfriend stopped a strike.

The Y-shaped wound, which measured 4 cms by 3 cms by 3cms, was treated with staples at the Luton and Dunstable hospital. He also had bruising to his left hand where he blocked the blow. Mr Simmons has a permanent scar, suffered headaches after the assault and was now nervous about going out in public, said Ms Cripps.

Warner, who ran from the White House, changed his appearance after the attack. He shaved his head, grew a beard and wore a pair of glasses. When he was arrested he claimed he was the victim of mistaken identity.

But Warner, of The Link, Houghton Regis, pleaded guilty to wounding with intent on the evening of 29 October last year. He had 14 previous convictions for 25 offences. He had been jailed for 18 months in 2003 for causing actual bodily harm and had no offences of violence since 2007.

Stella Hayden, defending, asked for credit for his guilty plea. She said that at the time of the assault on Mr Simmons,  he had broken up from his long-term partner. She said he accepted his culpability and had been under the influence of alcohol at the time. "It was a spontaneous loss of control. There had been interaction and the defendant felt he had been goaded," she said.

Jailing him, Judge Stuart Bridge said the effect on Mr Simmons had been serious, with him suffering headaches, feeling vulnerable and being left with a permanent scar on the top of his head.

Please note -  all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published