Man jailed for rape and possession of indecent photos of a child - Luton


A man who groomed a young girl and then drove her to woods near Luton Hoo where he raped her in woodland was jailed for 10 years today, Friday, 28 February 2014.

The 32-year-old father of one, living in Luton, posed as a 17-year-old boy after making contact with the troubled schoolgirl who had just turned 15. But Czechoslovakian Petr Kudelka quickly began discussing sexual matters with her and even sent her an intimate picture of himself.

Luton Crown Court heard today he then persuaded the teenager to give him her post code.

The court heard on 22 September last year Kudelka drove to the area near her home, having arranged to meet her. She appeared on the street expecting to meet a much younger boy, but Kudelka ushered her towards his car and they drove off.

In court today Kudelka, of Harefield Road in Luton, pleaded guilty to meeting a child following sexual grooming, two offences of sexual assault, possessing a prohibited  weapon, which was a pepper spray, rape, and two offences of possessing indecent photos of a child.

Jacqueline Matthew-Stroud prosecuting told the court the victim was a troubled teenager with problems at school who, in September last year, visited an internet chat room where she made contact with Kudelka, believing him to be a 17-year-old. The prosecutor said that, in the days leading up to their meeting, the defendant had deliberately turned the conversation to sexual matters and asked if she would meet him.

Judge Michael Kay QC was told that by now he had established she was just 15 but, on 22 September last year, he was parked up near her home in Luton waiting for her to appear.

The court heard Kudelka had with him a pepper spray, which he had told her he would give to her while they were together so she could protect herself. In fact, said Miss Matthew-Stroud, he drove the teenager out of Luton towards Harpenden stopping in a layby close to Luton Hoo. There he led her into woodland where he assaulted and raped her. Afterwards he drove her back into Luton and dropped her off at the top of her road.

The defendant was arrested on 27 September last year and claimed all he had done was kiss the youngster. Officers later found indecent pictures of young girls on his computer.

The court heard he had been in the UK for around six to seven years and had only recently moved to Luton from London.

Robert English, defending, said: "He recognises his interest in younger females is not acceptable."

Judge Kay told the court: "There is an element here of abduction."

Passing sentence, the judge told Kudelka: "I find this case to be a particularly disturbing one".  He went on: "This experience was frightening, traumatic and shocking for a young girl who was to some extent vulnerable".  He said the girl had been left shattered by what had happened to her that day and, as a result, her school work had suffered.

In addition the court was told that earlier this year the youngster had taken an overdose of some medication and had been rushed to hospital. What had happened, said the judge was every parents "nightmare". 

The judge said "It's obvious you present a significant risk to young women". For that reason he said he was satisfied Kudelka was a danger and, as a result, he ordered that he must serve two thirds of his prison sentence before he had been considered for parole.

Kudelka was told he was also to be on licence for a longer period than normal when he is eventually released - five years in all.  In addition, he was made the subject of a restraining order forbidding him from having any contact with the teenager, and he was also made the subject of a sexual offences prevention order. His name will also go on the sex offenders register for an indefinite period.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency,  who retain the copyright for all articles published.