Man jailed for 10 years for attacking flatmate - Luton


A man who attacked his flatmate in the Luton flat they shared was jailed for 10 years today, Tuesday, 15 April 2014.

Liam Fennelly, 24, repeatedly punched Steven Barrett and stamped on his face at the flat in Farley Hill last February. Then, with Mr Barrett lying unconscious on the floor, Fennelly left him and took his mobile phone. It meant Mr Barrett lay there badly injured for the next 21 hours before he was discovered and an ambulance was called.

As a result of the injuries he suffered, Luton Crown Court heard today, he had suffered a blood clot on his brain, his speech is now slower, the left side of his body is still affected, he cannot do his own buttons up and his short-term memory has been affected.

Judge Phillip Bartle was told today Mr Barrett is unable to live on his own and his now being cared for by his sister and her family.

Fennelly appeared for sentence today having been convicted by a jury earlier this year of inflicting grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent on his former friend.

Despite the terrible injuries Mr Barrett endured and the effects of them, the court was told Fennelly had shown little in the way of sympathy for the man he so viciously attacked on the night of 20 February 2013.

While in custody and awaiting sentence Fennelly, of Gardenia Avenue, Luton, had told probation staff, who had been instructed to prepare a report, that he considered Mr Barrett to be manipulating the system for a compensation payout.

Passing sentence today, Judge Bartle said, 50-year-old Mr Barrett had no memory of the attack that night. He said that, following the attack, Fennelly had left, taking the injured man's mobile phone and trying to wash blood off his own trainers and disposing of a blood stained shirt. He had done nothing, said the judge, to summon help, which meant it wasn't until the following evening that Mr Barrett was discovered.

At his trial Fennelly claimed he had acted in self defence that night, but Judge Bartle told him: "You and you alone were the aggressor on the night in question. You punched him repeatedly and  stamped on his face."

The judge said the stamp had left the imprint of the sole on his victim's face and the result of the attack meant that he spent three months in hospital. "He will never again be the man he was," said the judge

He sentenced Fennelly to 10 years' imprisonment.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency,  who retain the copyright for all articles published.