Man jailed for murder - Welwyn Garden City


A man appeared at St Albans Crown Court today, Friday, 11 July 2014, and was sentenced to life imprisonment after being found guilty yesterday, Thursday, 10 July 2014, of the murder of a man in Welwyn Garden City.

 Paul Dillon, aged 53, of Guinness House, Little Hardings, was fiound guilty of murder following a ten day trial and was sentenced to life and is to serve a minimum of 22 years.

Police were called to Guinness House, Little Hardings in Welwyn Garden City on Sunday, 16 March following reports of an altercation between Dillon and Scott Stone, aged 26, also from Welwyn Garden City. When officers arrived, they found Scott collapsed on the stairwell of the flats. Scott, who had been unarmed, had been stabbed in the heart with a kitchen knife by Dillon. Despite the efforts of the officers and paramedics to save his life, Scott died at the scene.

Adrian Foster, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: "This case involved the tragic murder of 26-year-old Scott Stone on 16 March 2014.

"Dillon confronted Mr Stone in the communal hallway of the block of flats, where he and Mr Stone's girlfriend lived, armed with a large knife with the intention of killing him or at the very least causing him really serious harm and, without saying a word, deliberately stabbed him in the chest, puncturing his heart.  The confrontation stemmed from an on-going neighbour dispute between Mr Stone's girlfriend and Dillon and his friend, who all lived on the same floor in the block of flats.  Mr Stone died in the stairwell a short time later.  Dillon is undoubtedly an extremely volatile and dangerous man.

"Dillon claimed he stabbed Mr Stone in self-defence, but the jury found him guilty of murder despite his denials.

"This case represents a tragedy for the family of Mr Stone. The victim was brutally murdered by a man, who was barely known to him, over a petty neighbour dispute.  His family and friends have been devastated by his untimely death.

"I would like to pay tribute to Mr Stone's family for their wholehearted support of this investigation and the dignity they have displayed while hearing the horrific details of how Mr Stone was killed.

"We have worked closely with Hertfordshire Constabulary since this investigation was launched and as a result of the hard work and diligence of the prosecution team, a just outcome has been achieved. We know that nothing will bring Mr Stone back to his family and friends, but we hope that today's conviction and sentence brings them at least a small sense that justice has been done. Our thoughts are very much with them all at this time."

Speaking about the sentence, Detective Inspector Fraser Wylie from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit, who led the investigation said: "Scott was a young man who had his whole life in front of him. His life was cruelly taken away from him and his family by the actions of Paul Dillon and the sentence fully reflects the severity of Dillons actions.

"I would like to pay tribute to Scott's family who has acted in the most dignified manner given the circumstances. Not only did they lose their loved one in such a horrific way, but they have also had to endure a trial and relive the terrible events of that day. The verdict and sentence will not bring Scott back, but I hope the result is of some comfort to them and that it will assist them with moving forward in their lives."