Man convicted of violent rape - Milton Keynes


A 21-year-old man has today, Tuesday, 15 January 2013, been convicted at Amersham Crown Court of raping a woman in Milton Keynes in July 2012.

David Billington, of Angel Close, Milton Keynes, was found guilty of two counts of rape, two counts of sexual assault by penetration, and one count of ABH, following a trial at Amersham Crown Court.

On 01 July 2012, Billington entered a property in the Bradville area through an insecure door while a woman in her fifties was asleep inside.

He then subjected her to a physical and sexual assault. The victim raised the alarm once the man had left the property.

Baljit Ubhey OBE, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: "This case involved a horrendous attack on a woman in her own home. We have worked closely with Thames Valley Police since this investigation was launched.

"Despite pleading not guilty, Billington was found guilty of all the offences following a trial at Amersham Crown Court.  What the victim had to endure is unthinkable and I would like to praise her for her courage and bravery.

"The CPS takes all allegations of rape and sexual offences seriously and has specialist rape and serious sexual offences (RASSO) prosecutors who have expertise in dealing with sexual offences cases.  We work with the police and the courts to ensure that victims are given the best possible support during the court process.  Cases of rape and other serious sexual offences are among the most difficult cases that we deal with and need to be dealt with very sensitively.  We will continue to vigorously prosecute all such offenders.

"The prosecution and conviction recognises the seriousness of the offences. I hope that today's conviction gives some sense of justice to the victim, so she can now put this unpleasant episode behind her and move on with her life. Our thoughts are very much with her at this time."

Investigating Officer Detective Sergeant Luke Grove from Milton Keynes CID said: "We are pleased with the decision of the jury here today.

"This was a nasty and sustained attack on a woman in her own home.

"Thankfully, incidents like this are extremely rare and we hope the knowledge that Billington will likely be behind bars for some time will offer a little bit of comfort to the victim. She can now return to some semblance of a normal life.

"I want to thank everyone who helped in this investigation and contributed towards Billington being brought to justice."

Billington was remanded in custody and will be sentenced at Amersham Crown Court on Friday, 22 February 2013.