Man convicted of murder back in court and sentenced for Luton burglary

07/03/2012

On Monday, 05 March 2012, brutal killer David Clairmonte was back in court to be sentenced for burgling his father's home.

In January, Clairmonte, 26, was found guilty of the murder of 69-year-old Fred Hodsdon last June. He was told he would have to serve a minimum of 30-years before he could be considered for release.

On Monday, 05 March 2012, Clairmonte was taken from his prison cell back to Luton Crown Court, where he pleaded guilty to two burglaries at his father's home just days before he committed the murder.

Daniel Siong for the Crown Prosecution Service told the court how,,on 11 June last year, Clairmonte of Thornview Road, Houghton Regis, broke into his father's home in Statham Close, Luton. Clairmonte got into the four bedroomed property by smashing a conservatory window at the rear of the property. In the raid he took a 42" TV.

Two days later, said Mr Siong, Clairmonte broke into the property once more. The court was told that, in all, Clairmonte had taken £10,000 worth of property. He carried out the break-ins while his father was on holiday.

Just days later, on 25 June last year, Clairmonte went to the home of Mr Hodsdon in Vespers Close, Luton and, after getting into the property, launched a savage hammer attack on the pensioner. He later left with a credit card and what he thought was the PIN number and tried to withdraw money from Mr Hodsdon's account.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.