Man jailed for supplying drugs to girl who died - Bedford


A 17-year-old Bedford girl died after taking the drug MDMA at her home in the town centre, a court heard today, Monday, 17 July 2017.

Another teenager with her suffered severe vomiting after taking the drug and a third youngster, who took it, suffered a seizure in a McDonalds restaurant in the town.

Today, the man who supplied the drug to the group appeared for sentence at Luton Crown Court via a video link from the prison where he is being held. Matthew Duggan-Hill, aged 21, of Chaucer Road, Bedford, pleaded guilty to two offences of supplying a class a drug, one offence of possessing a class a drug with intent and a fourth charge of possessing cannabis.

Nigel Ogborne, prosecuting for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), told the court how shortly before 11pm on Saturday, 27 May this year, an ambulance was called to the home of 17-year-old Luna Alves who lived in the High Street in Bedford. She had started fitting after taking the drug, that had been bought earlier from Duggan-Hill. A number of other young people were found at the address including another teenager who was being violently sick. Four people, including Miss Alves, were taken by ambulance to hospital, but sadly she died later that night.

The court was told that police investigating the matter discovered the MDMA had been bought by one of the group earlier in the evening in an alleyway close to Bedford Railway station. An examination of the phone records of the young girl, who had bought the drugs for the group, showed that the dealer she met had the street name 'Banging Dizz Bedford' and police were able to trace the number to the defendant.

Today, the court heard that Duggan-Hill was at the time subject to a suspended prison sentence of 22-weeks which was given to him in September 2015 for sending a malicious communication.

Jane Anderson, defending, said Duggan-Hill was "deeply sorry" for the death of the girl, who had died as a result of taking the drug.

Judge Lynn Tayton QC sentenced Duggan-Hill to four years imprisonment and activated 16-weeks of the suspended sentence to run consecutively.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright© for all articles published.