Man jailed for sexually assaulting elderly women - Oxfordshire

11/05/2017

A man appeared at Oxford Crown Court today, Thursday, 11 May 2017, and was given an extended sentence of ten years for sexual assaults against elderly women in Oxfordshire and other areas of the country last year.

Richard Saillet, aged 64, of Crick Road, Hillmorton, Rugby, Warwickshire, was sentenced today after pleading guilty to four counts of sexual assault. The Judge passed an eight year custodial sentence with a two-year extension, when Saillet will be on licence.  In addition to the extended sentence, Saillet must sign the Sex Offenders' Register for life.

Jeremy Taylor, Senior Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: "This case involved the sexual assault of four women, aged 79-91, between March and May 2016, in their homes in the West Midlands, Oxfordshire, Worcestershire, and Northamptonshire.

"On each occasion, Richard Saillet, aged 64, attended the home address of the women, who are not known to him, and sexually assaulted them. During the first incident, he pushed passed the victim as she opened the door and forced his way in. A week before the second incident, he called the victim claiming someone needed to visit her about a survey. On attending, he said he needed to use the bathroom and when she found him in her son's bedroom he forced her onto the bed. Saillet used violence during the last incident and got angry with the victim when she tried to resist. Saillet targeted the women, due to their vulnerability, and planned his attacks. He is clearly a calculated, ruthless and dangerous man.

"Saillet denied any sexual wrongdoing, but was linked to the offences via DNA, Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR), mobile phone / cell site analysis, and phone billing evidence. On 24 March 2017, at Oxford Crown Court, owing to the strength of evidence against him, Saillet pleaded guilty to four counts of sexual assault.

"We worked closely with Thames Valley Police from early in the investigation to help build the strongest possible prosecution case. Their investigators, and Crown Prosecution Service lawyers and caseworkers have worked tirelessly to bring this prosecution to court.

"This prosecution would not have been possible without the courage of the victims, who were willing to support proceedings. I commend them for their bravery. The physical and emotional impact on the victims of the abhorrent actions of this man is impossible to quantify. I hope that the convictions and today's sentence give some small comfort to them. Our thoughts are very much with them all at this time."

Investigating officer, Detective Constable Richard Lewis of Force CID, said: "This was a very disturbing series of sexual assaults where Richard Saillet has trespassed into the victims' homes to carry out the offences. Saillet targeted his victims, who were all vulnerable, elderly women living on their own.

"Saillet was identified through phone billing enquiries and subsequent forensic examinations identified his DNA at the scene of the offences.

"Bringing Saillet to justice has very much been a collaborative effort between four police forces, the National Crime Agency and the Crown Prosecution Service and I would like to thank all of those involved."