Man jailed for indecent assault - Bedford

26/10/2017

Bedford man Alan Garcia-Morgan was jailed for seven years today, Thursday, 26 October 2017, for indecently assaulting a 7-year-old girl.

The victim, who is now in her early 20s, told a jury at St Albans Crown Court that he had carried out the sex attacks in the Bedford area 17 years ago.

Garcia-Morgan, aged 54, of Thurlestone Close, Bedford, was convicted of four charges of indecent assault at an earlier hearing and appeared for sentence via a video link from Bedford prison.

Defence barrister Michelle Clarke said Garcia-Morgan continued to deny the offences. She said he had been the victim of abuse himself. She said his life had moved on and he was married with two children. His wife was standing by him, she said.

Judge Andrew Bright QC said: "You were well into your 30s at the time. You put this women through the experience of having to give evidence. She has suffered very severe psychological harm."

In addition to the custodial sentence, Garcia-Morgan must register as a sex offender indefinitely and abide by the terms of a sexual harm prevention order. The Judge added a further year to the licence period, which means that after his release from prison Garcia-Morgan will be supervised by probation officers until 2025.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyrightę for all articles published.