Man jailed for attempted murder - Milton Keynes


A man appeared at Luton Crown Court today, Thursday, 27 April 2017, and was given an extended sentence of 25 years for the attempted murder of his estranged wife's Aunt in Milton Keynes last August.

At just after 8am on Monday, 22 August 2016, the victim, a 34-year-old woman, drove into the Saxon Gate car park in Milton Keynes and was rammed from behind by Farai Kambarani's car. He then got out of the car and, wearing blue surgical gloves, punched her in the head multiple times before slashing her throat indiscriminately with a knife while she was on the ground.

Kambarani, aged 26, was confronted by members of the public and stole the victim's handbag before driving off and leaving her seriously injured on the car park floor. Moments later, he tried to call his estranged wife using the victim's phone. He then dumped the handbag, which was located later the same day by council workers. In an attempt to trace the owner, a workman rang a mobile number, which he found in the bag. Significantly, Kambarani answered the phone and when asked if the victim was there he replied: "she's dead."

On 27 June 2016, two months before this brutal attack, Kambarani attended the victim's home in Milton Keynes, accused her of not letting him see his child and punched a window causing it to smash. Between 3 June and 23 August 2016, he stalked his wife by following her, sending messages to her via WhatsApp, accessing her social media accounts, including Facebook, and attempting to change her passwords in a bid to monitor her movements and see who she was corresponding with.

The motive for the attack is believed to be Kambarani's angry response to his wife, and child, moving from their home in in Ashfield Road, Wolverhampton, in June 2016, to live with her Aunt and Uncle in Milton Keynes, due to the deterioration of their marriage. He became dangerously obsessed with his estranged wife, and seeing his daughter, and would go to any lengths to remove obstacles, including his estranged wife's Aunt, that he felt were in his way.

Kambarani answered 'no comment' to questions during his police interview. He later admitted wounding with intent, but denied attempted murder. On 24 February 2017, at Luton Crown Court, after a 5-day trial, the jury found him guilty of attempted murder, criminal damage and stalking despite his denials.

The Judge passed a 22-year custodial sentence with a 3-year extension, when Kambarani will be on licence.  It means he cannot apply for parole until he has served two thirds of the 22-year term. When he is released he will be on licence until the end of the 25-year extended sentence. The Judge also made a restraining order banning Kambarani from contacting his wife or her Aunt for life.

Naomi Edwards, Senior Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: "The CPS and police are committed to protecting the public from violent criminals and will continue to vigorously prosecute all such offenders. Today's sentence should act as a deterrent to others that violence will simply not be tolerated in our communities.

"We know that nothing can undo what happened to the victims, but we hope that the convictions and today's sentence bring them and their family at least a small sense that justice has been done. We also hope that the Aunt, who has shown great courage throughout this process, continues with her recovery. Our thoughts are very much with them all at this time."