Man jailed for attempted murder and rape - Waltham Cross


A man appeared at St Albans Crown Court today, Tuesday, 29 August 2017, and was given an extended sentence of 26 years for raping a teenage girl and strangling her until she passed out in Waltham Cross last November.

Djos Lombo, aged 21, of Lordship Lane, Tottenham, was sentenced today after being found guilty, at the same court, on 8 June 2017, of attempted murder, rape, sexual assault and making a threat to kill, following a three week trial.

The custody element of the extended sentence is 21 years with an extended period on licence, following release, of five years. Lombo will have to serve at least two thirds of the 21 year custodial sentence before the parole board can consider if he is safe to be released back into the community. When he is released, he will be on licence, and subject to a recall, until 2043. In addition to the extended sentence, Lombo will be on the sex offenders' register for life and was made the subject of a restraining order preventing him from contacting his victim or her family.

Frances Bush, Senior Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: "Late afternoon on Friday, 18 November 2016, the 16-year-old girl met Lombo, as arranged, in Waltham Cross. They walked down a pathway alongside the print works to a desolate area of wasteland. It is here that Lombo started acting strangely, which caused the girl some concern. Shortly afterwards, Lombo approached her from behind and clamped his gloved hand over her mouth while saying "scream and I'll kill you." He dragged her to some bushes where he touched her inappropriately and forced her to perform a sex act on him. He then put his gloved hand over her mouth and nose and, not being able to breath and fearing for her life, she struggled, so he put his hand around her throat and she blacked out. The girl later woke up alone, with extensive injuries and with her jumper, jacket and mobile phone missing, and ran home.

"Lombo was subsequently identified via CCTV and DNA evidence and arrested in Basildon, Essex. He answered 'no comment' during his police interviews and at the trial claimed the girl had consented to the sex act in exchange for cannabis and denied strangling her saying he left her at the wasteland alone because she was meeting someone else there. This was a planned, targeted and violent rape. Lombo left his victim for dead and is clearly an extremely ruthless, predatory and dangerous man.

"This case highlights the commitment of the police and CPS in robustly prosecuting cases involving violence against women. This prosecution would not have been possible without the courage of the victim, who was willing to support proceedings. The physical and emotional impact on her of the abhorrent actions of Lombo is impossible to quantify. I hope that the conviction and today's sentence will offer her some comfort. Our thoughts are very much with her at this time."

Speaking after the sentencing, Detective Sergeant Claire Hill-McGrath, from SOIT, said: "Lombo made the victim fear for her life, believing that he would kill her if she did not comply with his wishes. I cannot imagine how frightening it must have been for her. She has been so brave throughout the whole investigation and I would like to pay tribute to her strength and courage.

"When summing up, Judge Marie Catterson described Lombo as 'callous' and said he had displayed 'self-serving cruelty' during the attack. She said the jury had wholly rejected Lombo's account of what happened and that he had shown no empathy towards his victim.

"Lombo is a very dangerous individual and thanks to the Judge's decision today, he now has plenty of time to think about the trauma he put his victim through. I hope his sentence serves as some comfort to her and she can begin to move forward with her life."

During the sentencing hearing, Judge Catterson told Lombo: "I am driven to the conclusion you do pose a significant risk of serious harm to members of the public."