Leighton Buzzard man jailed for seven and a half years for stabbing - St Albans


Leighton Buzzard man Cayne Hazel was jailed for seven and a half years today, Wednesday, 26 February 2014, after being found guilty by a jury of stabbing a man in Houghton Regis last April.

His victim had been cycling to see his girlfriend when he was attacked by 26-year-old Hazel.  The court heard the pair had known each other since their school days, but didn't get on.

The jury at Luton Crown Court heard that, in the attack, Hazel plunged the knife into the man's hip, leaving it embedded in his flesh.  He managed to pull it out and made his way on foot to his girlfriend's home covered in blood.

Today, Hazel, of Lindler court, Leighton Buzzard, was found guilty of wounding with intent and having an offensive weapon

Claudette Elliott prosecuting for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the attack happened in an area of Houghton Regis known locally as 'Mud Hill' close to Wheatfield Road and Windsor Drive.

The jury heard that on the evening of Friday, 26 April last year the victim had been cycling to his girlfriend's home in Houghton Regis from his home in Lewsey Farm. 

The prosecutor said the man was cycling down the hill when he saw his cousin walking towards Lewsey Farm.  Nearby he noticed a male leaning on a post, head down and on his mobile.  He called out to his cousin and carried on riding down the hill and as he got to the bottom he heard her call out to him, the court was told.

Miss Elliott said he turned to see Hazel running towards him.  As the defendant got closer the victim could see him take a knife from his pocket.  He tried to cycle off, but came off his bike and as he tried to get up he felt a blow to his lower back on the left side.

Miss Elliott said he got to his feet and ran off and then tried to climb a wall.  The defendant was still coming after him and, on reaching the victim, stabbed him in the left hip area so that the knife was embedded.  The man pulled it out and the defendant ran off.  The court heard he managed to make his way to his girlfriend's home and the alarm was raised.

Hazel denied attacking the victim, but the jury convicted him of the two offences.

Judge Michael Kay jailed him for seven and half years.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.