Homeless man jailed for stabbing - Luton


A homeless Romanian man in Luton, who was befriended by a fellow countryman, who offered him accommodation and friendship repaid his kindness by stabbing him in the neck and seriously wound him.

Five times Gigel Dumitrascu stabbed Pavel Stanciulescu, who was forced to run from his home in London Road, Luton pursued by his attacker. Luckily the police turned up on the scene to save the victim from further injuries.

Today, Thursday, 03 July 2014, at Luton Crown Court Dumitrascu, aged 36, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to wounding with intent and having an article with a blade or point.

Judge Richard Foster sentenced him to an extended prison sentence after saying that it was clear the defendant posed a risk to the public. He sentenced Dumistrascu to five years imprisonment and told him that upon his release he will be on licence for a further six years and four months.

Passing sentence, the judge told him: "This was a very serious offence. Pavel Stanciulescu had befriended you and he and his wife had offered you accommodation and yet you attacked him in this unprovoked way. Thankfully the injuries were not as serious as they might have been."

The court was told that although Dumitrascu had mental health and psychiatric issues, he had been found fit to enter his guilty pleas and he had responded well to treatment and medication.

Beverley Cripps, prosecuting for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it was shortly before the attack on 06 September last year at Mr Stanciulescu's home in London Road that he and the defendant had met for the first time in Luton town centre and, finding out they were both from Romania, became friendly. At one stage the defendant had asked the other man for a loan of £300 to buy a car, but nothing came of it.

The court heard on the morning of 06 September last year the defendant went to Mr Stanciulescu's home with a knife. The victim invited him in for a coffee and cigarette and noticed Dumitrascu appeared to be unwashed and unshaven. Moments later when the victim's wife appeared in the kitchen telling her husband they needed to do some errands, Dumitrascu suddenly produced the knife and went for him, stabbing him about the neck.

Miss Cripps told how the victim fell to the floor, but then managed to get to his feet and ran outside, chased by the other man. She said the husband thought Dumitrascu was intent on killing him but, moments later, police were on the scene and he was arrested.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.