Hatfield man's sentence increased

23/04/2013

On Friday, 19 April 2013, at the Court of Appeal a man previously sentenced to 16 months imprisonment for conspiracy to rob, in connection with the murder of a man in Hatfield, had his sentence increased to three years.

Amariloo Brami, aged 22, of Walnut Grove, Welwyn Garden City, had pleaded guilty to conspiracy to rob, but was found not guilty of the murder of Darren Leonard on 24 January 2013, following a direction from the Judge.

Darren, 24, died on 11 July last year, following an altercation at his home in Northfield, Hatfield. He suffered multiple injuries during the incident including fatal stab wounds.

On 04 March 2013, Mikel Cela was convicted of the manslaughter of Darren Leonard and sentenced to a total of 10 years imprisonment for the manslaughter and conspiracy to rob.

Baljit Ubhey OBE, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: We referred this case to the Attorney General as one that had attracted a sentence that was unduly lenient.  We supported the Attorney Generals decision to refer this case to the Court of Appeal.  I welcome the ruling from the Royal Courts of Justice to increase the sentence.

The original sentence in no way reflected the severity or seriousness of the offence.  The increased sentence does.

We will continue to vigorously prosecute offenders who seek to profit from violent crime.  Our thoughts are will Darrens family at this time.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Ross, who led the investigation, said: Working jointly with the Crown Prosecution Service and with the consent of Darrens family we launched an appeal against the sentence as we did not feel it reflected the seriousness of the crime committed.

I am pleased that The Court of Appeal have seen this and more than doubled the sentence. I hope this is of some comfort to Darrens family and I would like to thank them for their support in this matter.