Four men found guilty of murder and jailed - Bedford

16/09/2014

Four men from Bedford have today, Tuesday, 16 September 2014, been found guilty at Luton Crown Court of the murder of talented rapper Isaac Stone, known as Dynamikk, who was stabbed to death in the town earlier this year.

Fahim Khan, aged 20, of Fenlake Road; Mohammed Hussain, aged 22, of Maitland Street, and brothers Javed Miah, aged 21, and Rubel Miah, aged 19, both of Costin Street were found guilty by a jury after a six week trial.

Fahim Khan and Rubel Miah were both jailed for life and are to serve a minimum of 28 years. Javed Khan was jailed for life and is to serve a minimum of 26 years, and Mohammed Hussain was jailed for life and is to serve a minimum of 25 years.

Isaac suffered eleven cut and slash wounds to his body during the attack, which took place in Costin Street, Bedford, on the evening of Saturday, 25 January, with the fatal blow being a five inch stab wound to his chest.

His friend, Shajidur Rahman, received four deep slashes to his head and face, with his nose effectively being amputated, the jury was told during the trial.

All four men were found not guilty of the attempted murder of Mr Rahman, but Fahim Khan and Rubel Miah were found guilty of Section 18 Grievous Bodily Harm (GBH) with intent. All four were also convicted of two counts of possessing offensive weapons.

While the motive for the attack has never been revealed, the day before it took place an amateur music video called "Go Missing" was posted on YouTube in which Isaac Stone, Shajidur Rahman and others appeared. During the course of the film, which was made by a media studies student, alcohol was sprayed over the name 'Raz' that had been painted on a wall. Prosecutor Vincent Coughlin QC believed that this act alone had upset 'certain people' and was the probable cause of the attack.

On the day of the murder, some of the offenders had gone to Luton to hire a white Range Rover before returning to Bedford to buy two meat cleavers from a hardware store in Greenhill Street.

At around 6.20pm, Isaac, who was driving a white Vauxhall Corsa with Mr Rahman and two other passengers, encountered the other group in Costin Street.

Isaac was chased, trapped and set upon by all four defendants. He was repeatedly punched, kicked and stabbed during the assault which lasted only a few minutes. Bedfordshire Police officers quickly attended the scene, but by the time Isaac arrived at hospital there was no sign of a pulse and he was pronounced dead at 7.15pm.

The Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit (BCHMCU) led the investigation into the murder and a number of key witnesses were quickly identified. As a result, all four offenders were arrested and charged by 14 February.

Adrian Foster, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: "This case involved a confrontation between two opposing groups, which led to the stabbing to death of 19-year-old Isaac Stone and the permanent disfigurement of 20-year-old Shajidur Rahman.

"The vicious assaults occurred just before 6.30pm on 25 January in Costin Street, Bedford.  Despite police officers and paramedics quickly attending the scene Isaac died less than an hour later.  Mr Rahman suffered horrific head and facial injuries including the severance of his nose, which was hacked off with a meat cleaver.  Emergency facial reconstruction surgery was attempted, but was unsuccessful.

"This was a planned, targeted and savage attack by men known to the victims.  The motive for the brawl is not clear, but it appeared to be a revenge attack over a video posted on YouTube.  The men acted together in a joint enterprise in the full knowledge that their friends had weapons.  The knives were in fact purchased minutes before the fatal blows were delivered and a Range Rover hired to transport the men to and from the scene.  They are clearly extremely ruthless, violent and dangerous men.

"The four defendants claimed either not have played any part in the attack or self-defence, but were convicted of murder despite their denials.

"Forensic (DNA and fingerprint) evidence, CCTV, vehicle tracking evidence, VIPER identification of the suspects, and witness accounts were all crucial in this case.  I would like to take this opportunity to thank the witnesses, who gave evidence in very difficult circumstance.

"This case represents a tragedy for Isaac's family, who are distraught by his untimely death and for Mr Rahman and his family, who are devastated by his life changing injuries and the effect they are having on his quality of life.  I would like to pay tribute to them for their wholehearted support of this investigation and the dignity they displayed while hearing the horrific details of that fateful night in January.

"We have worked closely with the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit since the investigation was launched and as a result of the hard work and diligence of the prosecution team, a just outcome has been achieved.

"We know that nothing can bring Isaac back or undo what happened to Mr Rahman, but we hope that today's convictions and sentences bring them and their family and friends at least a small sense that justice has been done. Our thoughts are very much with them all at this time."

"This was a pre-meditated, heinous and barbaric attack on a talented young man who had so much to live for," said Detective Inspector Adam Gallop, who led the investigation. "The sheer volume and ferocity of violence used during the attack on Isaac and his friend Shajidur was beyond belief and I have no doubt that these individuals had anything less than murder on their minds that evening.

"Given the viciousness of the attack I want to praise the amount of witnesses who came forward and helped the police identify, arrest and charge those responsible for Isaac's murder. Without their bravery there was every chance that these men could have gotten away with this crime and possibly believed that they were untouchable.

"They are not untouchable, and I hope this conviction acts as a timely reminder to those who choose to take to the streets with knives and other weapons. There can be no winners.

"I am satisfied with the result today and I want to thank Isaac's family who have been very supportive of the police investigation. The dignity shown by them, and Isaac's mother in particular is an inspiration. I know that nothing can change the traumatic and tragic events of 25 January, but I hope that Isaac's family can take some solace in knowing that those responsible for his death now face lengthy jail sentences.

"I also want to thank my own team for their commitment, dedication and determination, as well as all the other professionals who enabled us to bring Khan, Hussain and the Miah brothers to justice."