Four gang fight teenagers jailed - Luton

02/09/2015

Teenage gang members, who discovered their rivals were going to court to support a pal, realised they would have to be unarmed to pass through the building's security checks.

Members of the 'Lewsey Trap' gang knew it would be a perfect opportunity to attack their bitter rivals from the 'Purley Crew' when they left the court.

Today, Wednesday, 02 September 2015, four teenage members of the 'Lewsey Trap' were jailed for a total of 32 years and eight months when they appeared for sentence at Luton Crown Court. A fifth youth is to be sentenced at a later date.

In the ambush on the other gang, a teenage boy from the Purley Crew suffered life threatening injuries after being stabbed four times in the chest back, neck and abdomen.

The five were all part of a gang waiting in Luton town centre for members of The Purley Crew to appear at lunchtime on 02 December last year after they had left the nearby magistrates' court. Most of the boys had armed themselves with knives in preparation for the attack.

The court heard that bitter rivalry had existed for years between the 'Lewsey Trap' - a gang from the Luton's Lewsey Farm estate and the other gang from the Marsh Farm estate.

Luton Crown Court heard it was around 12.30 pm on 02 December last year when the four members of the gang from Marsh Farm made their way into George Street in Luton's town centre. There, the five from the 'Lewsey Trap' launched their attack.

Two boys from the Marsh Farm gang took shelter in a shop while outside their rivals brandished knives. It was only the bravery of shop staff that stopped the armed attackers getting to the terrified youngsters. Another boy from the 'Purley Crew' ran for his life into the shopping centre. But one member of that gang found himself separated from his friends and after being surrounded by the 'Lewsey Trap' was stabbed by three of them.

Today, Derrick Clarke, aged 19 of Fenson Drive, Luton was jailed for 11 years. He had been found guilty of conspiracy to cause grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent. He admitted wounding with intent, violent disorder and possessing a weapon.

Mohammed Lahdiri, aged 18, of Carlisle Road, Leyton in East London was jailed for six years and eight months having earlier pleaded guilty to wounding with intent, violent disorder and possessing a weapon.

Judge Richard Foster ordered that two 17-year-old boys, previously not named, could be identified.

Ciaran Lambert, aged 17, of Roman View, Flitwick, who had admitted wounding with intent, violent disorder and possessing a weapon, was sentenced to nine years youth custody.

Javante Fraser, aged 17, of Williton Road, Luton, who admitted wounding with intent, violent disorder and possessing a weapon, was sentenced to six years.

Judge Foster told the gang the violence that day had arisen out of a long standing feud between the two gangs. That feud, he said, had led to offences of violence over the years, as well as firearms offences and even a murder. Police in Luton, he said had even mounted a dedicated operation to tackle the offending involving the gangs. What had happened on 02 December was a "stark reminder" of what happens when tit for tat violence spirals out of control.

A fifth youth, Sejon King, aged 18, of Williton Road, Luton who was found guilty of conspiracy to cause GBH with intent, will be sentenced at a later date.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.