Drug dealer caught and jailed again - Luton


A drug dealer who was snared by an undercover police officer had only been out of prison for two months from a previous drug dealing offence.

Zahid Asghar was selling heroin and crack cocaine in the Hockwell Ring area of Luton, and drugs and cash were found at his home, a Luton Crown Court heard on Friday, 12 April 2013.  He was jailed in March 2010 for supplying the same two Class A drugs.

His lawyer said that when he came out of prison he was still in debt for the drugs that had been seized on the previous occasion and was driven to deal again to repay the debt.

Prosecutor Simon Ash told Luton Crown Court on Friday that when police went to arrest Asghar at his home in Douglas Road, Luton, he attempted to flush away some of his stash of drugs before leaping from a bathroom window and escaping.

He gave himself up two days later when he learned his innocent parents were being involved in the police investigation.

Asghar, 31 pleaded guilty to three charges of supplying drugs in July and August last year and three charges of possessing drugs with intent to supply when arrested in January this year. He was jailed for four years and four months.

Judge David Farrell QC told him "The most aggravating feature of this case is that you were on licence from your last sentence when you committed these offences.

"You were released in May 2012 and within a matter of weeks you were involved again. Dealing drugs is dealing in misery.

"You knew exactly what you were doing and it was an operation with some sophistication."

Mr. Ash said Asghar was involved in supplying an undercover officer using the name Joe, who cycled to the shops at Hockwell Ring to purchase £10 street deals. The police operation used the codename Goldfinch.

Miss Minal Raj, defending him said: "When he was released on licence he had no where to go but back to Bedfordshire and had to beg his family to allow him back there.

"Within a very short time those who had lost drugs the last time came knocking at his door."

With him in the dock was 38 year old John Morris, of Dale Road, Luton who pleaded guilty to four charges of being concerned in the supply of drugs to 'Joe'.

The court was told that the long term addict had put Joe in touch with a supplier, believing he was befriending a fellow addict.

Judge Farrell said Morris was making good progress on a court imposed drug rehabilitation order and passed a 16 month suspended prison sentence with a condition he continues with the order.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.