Cheshunt drug dealer jailed for two years - St Albans


A Cheshunt drug dealer who threw a rucksack containing cocaine into a back garden when he was chased by a police officer, was jailed for 2 years today, Friday, 21 February 2014.

Scott Malins, 21, got out of his Ford Fiesta and ran when the police stopped him.  Despite getting away from the officers, he returned to his car in Mundells in the town where he was arrested.

His front seat passenger Joshua Penny, also 21, had not fled and had already been arrested, St Albans crown court heard today, Friday, 21 February, 2014.

Prosecutor Colin Banham said that at ten minutes to two on the afternoon of Thursday, 22 August last year police tried to stop the Fiesta in Adamsfield, Cheshunt, but it made off at speed.

The car went into Spicersfield and then Mundells, where it stopped. Malins got out and ran along an alleyway pursued by an officer. On the way he threw the black rucksack into a garden in Longfield Lane.

Although he managed to evade the officer, Malins returned to the car where he was arrested. The bag was recovered and found to contain 20 wraps of cocaine, weighing 9.81 grams. Malins had £360 on him. At his home, they discovered a bag containing 13.86g of ecstasy and £1,900 in cash.

Penny showed the officers a bag of cannabis from the car. At the police station he was strip-searched and three more bags of cannabis were found. In total the cannabis came to 9.81 grams. At his home the police found 2.66 grams of ecstasy and some scales.

Malins, of Rags Lane, Cheshunt, pleaded guilty to possessing cocaine and ecstasy with intent to supply. He had no previous convictions, but had received a reprimand for criminal damage in 2006.

Penny, of Hollybush Way, Cheshunt, pleaded guilty to possessing cannabis with intent to supply and possessing ecstasy. He did not have any previous convictions but had a reprimand for criminal damage from 2011.

For Malins, Elizabeth Lambert said he came from a 'decent, hard-working family' and had worked for GM Briton since leaving school. She said he had used drugs on a recreational basis and became addicted to cannabis. She said he was buying drugs in bulk so he could get a good price. "Associates found out and asked him to get them drugs and he started selling to friends, making only a small profit. Text messages indicated he had been dealing since May.

Ms Lambert said he was determined to come off drugs. She said he had run from the officers in panic, but had returned to the car.

Gabrielle Moore, for Penny, said he was only supplying cannabis to friends to fund his own addiction, but was now seeking professional help for his long-standing cannabis addition.

She said he was "deeply regretful" and felt he had let his mother down. He was working as a stock controller at Tesco.

Recorder Peter Crabtree jailed Malins for 2 years saying: "Drugs destroy lives and have a negative impact on society. Those who sell drugs to users contribute directly to this." He ordered that the £2,260 seized from Malins should be forfeit.

He passed a 5 month jail sentence suspended for 12 months on Penny. He ordered him to carry out 100 hours' unpaid work and pay £500 costs.

Please note -  all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.