Banned driver jailed for dangerous driving - Leighton Buzzard

21/04/2017

A banned driver, who fled from police, could have killed someone by his dangerous driving, a Judge said today, Friday, 21 April 2017.

John Cawley who was on a five year ban, and was uninsured, panicked when police tried to stop him in Leighton Buzzard on 20 March this year.

Luton Crown Court heard how he did a U-turn in Billington Road and then drove in such a way that several oncoming cars had to take action to avoid colliding with him. After a short chase he pulled into the Todbury Farm travellers site where he was arrested.

Cawley, aged 25, who uses a number of aliases, appeared via a video link from Bedford prison to listen to the facts being outlined by prosecutor, James Lachkovic. He had previously pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and driving without insurance. He was jailed for a year and banned from driving for a further five and half years.

Mr Lachkovic said the chase began at 9.20 in the morning and included driving at 60 mph in a 30 mph area along Slapton Road, which included trying to overtake an agricultural vehicle and having to mount a verge to do so. Police were considering abandoning the pursuit, because of the danger, when Cawley pulled into the traveller's site, from which he had come.

Chloe Gardner, defending said: "He just panicked, but the dangerous driving only lasted for about a mile."

Judge Michael Kay QC told the Cawley: "It is only a matter of luck whether you collided with another car, and that person could have been killed or seriously injured. That is a depressingly familiar case in these courts."

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyrightę for all articles published.