Amateur boxer jailed for assault - Dunstable


A teenager, who was beaten mercilessly by an amateur boxer, who punched him to the ground and kicked him in the face, posted pictures of his injuries on Facebook.

The images of young victims's battered face caused shock and revulsion when they appeared on the social media site last year. And it was through Facebook that the victim was able to identify his attacker, a court heard today Friday, 06 May 2016. He was shown Reece Porter's Facebook profile and confirmed that Porter was the man who had assaulted him in broad daylight. The profile revealed Porter was an amateur boxer.

The victim was in court  today with his family to see Porter, aged 19, jailed for 18 months, having pleaded guilty to assaulting him causing grievous bodily harm (GBH).

Judge Barbara Mensah told the Porter: "This was a completely unprovoked attack, which caused serious injuries. It has had not just a physical, but an emotional impact on the victim."

Luton Crown Court was told that the slightly built victim suffered a broken nose and a fractured eye socket and cheek bone, and severe bruising and swelling. He had surgery to his nose, which has not been fully straightened and stitches to a cut above his eye.

Prosecutor Miles Trigg told Luton Crown Court that the victim and a female friend were cycling into Dunstable on 29 September last year at about 4pm to get a burger. Near the burnt out shell of the Norman King pub he saw a girl he recognised from school with two males. He stopped to speak to her, unaware that she was Porter's girlfriend. Mr Trigg said the victim has a 'degree of Asperger's syndrome' and Porter intervened and made a derogatory comment to him about 'the yellow bus waiting for him up the road.'

The Judge said this was a gratuitous, unpleasant and insulting comment. But the victim did not react and turned around to walk away.

The prosecutor said: "The victim was then attacked from behind and was punched first to one temple and then the other. He felt dizzy and went to the ground. "Porter carried on his attack kicking him, as he lay in the road, to his head and body. He not only used his boxing skills to put him to the floor, he then kicked him with a shod foot."

Porter, of Brockwell Place, Dunstable left the scene, later learned the police were looking for him and went to the police station. The court was told he had no previous convictions.

Stuart Sprawson, defending said: "He is a fine young man, but accepts full responsibility for a vicious attack on this occasion. A number of people have written references to the court speaking of how out of character his behavious was. The attack was over in seconds, but he fully accepts he was responsible for the injuries."

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.