Man jailed for firing imitation firearm at police officers


A 29 year old man has today (26th April) been jailed for five years in prison at Preston Crown Court for firing an imitation firearm at police officers on 22nd December 2015 in Preston.

Ashley Gerrard, who was wanted by police on an unrelated offence, was followed to Ribbleton Avenue in Preston. As officers attempted to arrest him, he aimed and fired a silver imitation handgun into their faces. The gun clicked but appeared to fail. He then aimed and fired at other police officers at the scene.

Brett Gerrity, Senior Crown Prosecutor for CPS North West said: "Ashley Gerrard committed these terrifying firearms offences in broad daylight on a residential street in full view of the public. He pulled an imitation firearm from his waistband and aimed it at close range at two police officers and pulled the trigger. He then aimed and fired it several more times at other officers also at the scene, showing utter disregard for the long term effects this would have on them as they simply did their jobs serving the public.

"I commend the bravery of all the officers involved in the incident who had no way of knowing at that time that this was not a real handgun and were in fear of their lives.

"Police officers play a vital role in our communities by upholding the law and protecting people. The CPS and Lancashire Police will continue to work together to bring to justice all those who use weapons or commit violent offences against the police."

Details of sentence:

Ashley Gerrard was sentenced to 5 years' imprisonment for using an imitation firearm with intent. He pleaded guilty to the charge on 11th March 2016.

He was also sentenced to 16 months' imprisonment for ABH and 16 months' imprisonment for Dangerous Driving, both of these sentences to run concurrently to the above sentence. These sentences were in connection with an incident when he deliberately drove his car at a man riding a bike, knocking him over and causing a number of cuts and bruises.