Carlisle man jailed for sex attack in city park


A 24 year old man from Carlisle has been sentenced to 10 years 8 months in prison for the brutal rape of a woman in the Chinese Gardens at Rickerby Park in August 2015 and an offence of witness intimidation.

Jonathan Corry was convicted following a trial at Carlisle Crown Court in December. The victim met him on a night out in Carlisle City centre. They got on well and continued chatting and drinking during the evening and then decided to go to his house. As they walked back towards his house he told her that he needed to urinate. They went into the Chinese Gardens and while she waited for him he grabbed her, attacked her and raped her. During the attack he threatened to kill her if she told anyone and hit her a number of times. She fled the scene and ran to her nearest friend's house in distress and the police were called.

Isla Chilton, Senior Crown Prosecutor from the specialist Rape and Serious Sexual Offences Unit, CPS North West said: "This was a dreadful assault on a woman who was simply enjoying an evening out socialising. Jonathan Corry claimed that the victim consented but this could not be further from the truth. He gave the victim the impression during the evening that he was a pleasant, friendly person but without warning became violent when they were walking home alone. She was terrified and believed he was going to kill her. The jury heard all the evidence, saw through Jonathan Corry's lies about what happened and believed the victim. They found him guilty after a trial in December.

"The victim has been extremely brave in reporting what happened and in giving evidence against him. Because of her courage we have been able to bring to justice a violent sex offender and make sure he goes to prison where he can no longer pose a danger to other women. We take all offences of sexual violence seriously and work closely with our police colleagues to bring strong prosecution cases to court. We would encourage anyone who has been the victim of sexual assault to contact police to report it."

Jonathan Corry was sentenced to 10 years in prison for the offence of rape and 8 months in prison for the offence of witness intimidation to run consecutively. He pleaded guilty to witness intimidation at court today.