DPP refers William Dunlop case to Court of Appeal as first under double jeopardy law
10/11/2005
The Director of Public Prosecutions, Ken Macdonald, QC, has today given his consent for the case of William Dunlop to be referred to the Court of Appeal - the first under the double jeopardy law.
Mr Macdonald said: "It falls to me to authorise a police investigation and to give my written consent for a case to be referred to the Court of Appeal if certain conditions are met, including that there is new and compelling evidence and that it is in the public interest.
"Having looked at the submissions from the Chief Crown Prosecutor for Cleveland, Martin Goldman, I am satisfied the conditions are met and the CPS should apply to the Court of Appeal for William Dunlop to be re-tried for the murder of Julie Hogg.
Mr Goldman said: "Once the law on double jeopardy changed, Cleveland Police and the CPS re-examined the case and I decided the DPP should be asked for his consent for the case to go before the Court of Appeal.
"It is now for the Court of Appeal to decide whether or not William Dunlop should be tried again for the murder of Julie Hogg."
The reform of the double jeopardy rule - that a person once acquitted cannot be tried twice for the same offence - came into force earlier this year under the Criminal Justice Act 2003.
Under the Act, the Court of Appeal has the power to quash an acquittal and order a re-trial where there is new and compelling evidence relevant to the guilt of the acquitted person and it is in the interests of justice to do so.
William Dunlop faced two trials for the murder of Julie Hogg who was killed in 1989 in Billingham, Cleveland. Each time the jury failed to reach a verdict and he was formally acquitted in 1991.
Notes to Editors
- The provisions on the retrial of serious offences (double jeopardy) under the Criminal Justice Act 2003 came into force on April 4, 2005.
- For further details contact the CPS Press Office on 020 7796 8180.
