Violent burglar who took part in a 9 hour roof top siege is jailed


A violent burglar who was arrested after a nine hour standoff on the roof of a house in Liverpool has been sentenced to 17 years and 9 months in jail for a brutal burglary.

Liverpool Crown Court heard that the 23 year old victim suffered life changing injuries when he was stabbed by a gang who broke into his house in Woolton on August 7, 2013. The attack left him with brain damage and he now needs 24 hour care.

Four men were found guilty of conspiracy to commit aggravated burglary after two trials at Liverpool Crown Court. Stephen McCoy, 23, of Rice Lane, Walton, and Lee Montague, 22, of The Elms, Dingle, were jailed for 17 years and 16 years respectively. John Paul McCoy, 28, of Day Street, Old Swan, who was sentenced on Tues 24 November 2015 to 16 years for his part in the offence, was found guilty in his absence when he didn't attend the trial. Ryan Burrell, 22, formerly of Park Road, Toxteth, was also sentenced today for his part in the conspiracy and was jailed for 16 years and was given a further 4 months in jail for contempt of court.

The court heard that John McCoy had tried to escape arrest in the past. He subjected two female police officers to a vicious assault when they tried to arrest him on a street in Walton on the afternoon of 15 September 2015. One of the officers, who suffered a broken jaw in the assault,  described John McCoy as acting "like a lunatic" and said he wasn't trying to get away but wanted to "seriously harm" them. In a Victim Personal Statement, the officer described John McCoy as a "violent individual".

McCoy has since pleaded guilty to two charges following the attack, unlawful wounding and assault occasioning actual bodily harm. His sentence includes an 18 month jail term for these offences and 3 months for breach of bail, giving a total of 17 years and 9 months.

John McCoy fled onto the roof of a house in Church Road, Walton when police raided the property at 7.30am on November 2015. A cordon was put around the property and, following a nine hour siege, McCoy finally came down around 4.30pm.

Helen Graves, Senior Crown Prosecutor with Mersey-Cheshire Crown Prosecution Services Complex Casework Unit, oversaw the prosecution of all four involved in the burglary. She said: "Sentencing brings to a successful conclusion an ongoing attempt to bring John McCoy to justice.

"He was involved in a brutal attack on a young man but then left his co-accused to face the music as he fled from the authorities. On another occasion when he was trying to avoid arrest, he subjected two women police officers to a vicious assault. The concerted efforts of Merseyside Police and the Crown Prosecution Service mean that McCoy is now facing the consequences of his vicious offending.

"A violent man is now thankfully behind bars. Our thoughts remain with the family of the male victim who will never fully recover from the attack he suffered."