Six men have been sentenced following attack on anti-fascist group.


Six men have been sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court today for a vicious attack on an anti-fascist group.

The six men pleaded guilty to violent disorder following an incident in Liverpool city centre on 6 July 2012.

Their sentences were:

 Liam Pinkham, who is 35 and from Birkenhead, was sentenced to 17 months in prison.
 Michael Kearns, who is 41 and from Liverpool, was sentenced to 14 months in prison.
 Matthew Coates, who is 22 and from Southport, was sentenced to 10 months in prison.
 Peter Hawley, who is 53 and from Blackburn, was sentenced to 13 months in in prison.
 Shane Calvert, who is 32 and from Blackburn, was sentenced to 14 months in prison.
 Stephen Dumont, who is 18 and from Netherley, has been sentenced to 5 months detention in a Youth Offenders Institution for this offence and a further 4 months for an offence of racially aggravated assault.

 Nathan Smith had pleaded guilty to violent disorder at an earlier hearing but failed to turn up to court today and a bench warrant has now been issued for him.
During the case, the court heard that the men shared right wing views and had meant to disrupt an anti-fascist group benefit gig at the News from Nowhere bookshop in Bold Street in Liverpool city centre on 6 July 2012.

However, Anya Horwood, Senior Crown Advocate for CPS Mersey- Cheshire, told the court that "while this may have been the backdrop, what actually happened  was a wanton act of public disorder which resulted in real fear, injury and damage."

The defendants attacked members of the anti-fascist group as they walked up Bold Street and in the Tabac bar and cafe, which is near to the News from Nowhere bookshop, shortly before the benefit gig was due to begin.

Anya Horwood said :"This was an entirely unprovoked attack by the defendants and others. Fortunately, there were no serious injuries."

After the sentences were handed out, Helen Morris, Senior Crown Prosecutor with the Crown Prosecution Service, Mersey- Cheshire, said:  "The violence used by the defendants on that day caused real fear among the ordinary members of the public who just happened to have the misfortune to be in the area.

"They launched an unprovoked assault on their victims in a public place and were reckless as to the effect of that on anyone around them. These offences are serious and thats reflected in the sentences imposed by the Court."