Merseyside man jailed for life for gun crime


A Merseyside man has been jailed for life for having guns and ammunition and firing at an innocent man.

Allan Hulse, 39, of Coney Crescent in Thornton was sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court, with the recommendation he serve a minimum of seven and a half years.

He was also sentenced to a further eight years in jail for further offences of possessing firearms, to run alongside the life term.

The court heard that Hulse had been involved in firearms incidents going back to 2007.

He admitted firing a shotgun at houses in the Woolton and Eden Vale areas of Liverpool in September 2013 and January 2014.

In the last incident, Hulse fired a shotgun at the door of a house in Eden Vale in Bootle. A man in the house at the time heard the shot and ran to the front door to find out what was going on.

A second shot was fired through the glass of the front door and the man lost the sight in his left eye and his right eye was also damaged.

The motive for the shootings has never been established.

Detectives tracked Hulse down from DNA found on the ammunition used in the shootings. Hulse had previously been convicted for possessing a firearm in 2008.

In February 2014 they searched the home of his girlfriend and discovered several rounds of ammunition, a shotgun that had been used in the shootings, a handgun and a Taser gun.

Hulse was arrested for the shootings and eventually pleaded guilty.

He had initially denied involvement but detectives were able to track the movement of his mobile phone to and from the scene of a shooting in September and prove that the shotgun found was the gun used in the shootings.

Geoffrey Fryar, Senior District Crown Prosecutor for the Crown Prosecution Service, Mersey-Cheshire, said: "Hulse is a very dangerous man who hadn't been out of prison long for possessing a gun when he went on his latest spree of gun crime.

"We have never been able to establish why he chose the properties he fired the gun at and the man he shot was unknown to him.

"What's clear is that Hulse wasn't simply involved in handling guns, he was prepared to use them with potentially deadly results.

"This man is clearly a danger to the community and the Crown Prosecution Service would like to thank Merseyside Police for their help in bringing him to justice."