Man given hospital order for killing his father


A 28 year old man from Liverpool has been given an indefinite hospital order after killing his father at the family home.

Liverpool Crown Court heard that Ghassan Mohsin killed his seventy eight year old father Musaad Mohsin at their house in Stowe Close in Hunts Cross on 15 April 2014.

The family had become increasingly concerned about the mental health of Mohsin in the weeks leading up to the death of Musaad.

Mohsin's father had contacted the family doctor on a number of occasions and had encouraged his son to seek medical help but he refused.

A doctor came out to see Mohsin on the night his father was killed but he found that Mohsin was not displaying signs of psychosis at that point.

One of his brothers tried to take Mohsin away from the house that night to stay at a property nearby that the family own, but Mohsin refused and asked to be taken home.

A couple of hours later, as his father was going to bed, Mohsin went into his bedroom and attacked him, slitting his throat with a bread knife from the kitchen.

The bloodied knife was later found in the couple's ensuite bathroom. Mohsin's mother came out of the bathroom to find Mohsin attacking his father and tried to pull him off but couldn't.

After the attack she asked Mohsin to leave and he went downstairs. She called her other two sons who called the police.

Mohsin was later found wandering in a nearby street.

Two medical reports confirmed that Mohsin was mentally ill at the time of the tragedy. Consultant psychiatrist Dr Mohammed Qureshi said he was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia.

Dr Caroline Milligan, a consultant psychiatrist at Ashworth hospital, agreed and said it was extremely unlikely Mohsin would have attacked his dad if he had not been mentally ill.

Mohsin pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

He was sentenced to an indefinite hospital order under Section 37 of the Mental Health Act. This means he will not be released until those responsible for his care agree that he no longer poses a risk to the public.

Gary Simpson, Senior Crown Prosecutor with Mersey-Cheshire Crown prosecution Service, said: "This is a tragedy for the Mohsin family.

"Mr Mohsin's wife had to stand by powerlessly and watch her husband be killed by her own son.

"Her other two sons were there in the moments after the tragedy and they have all had to come to terms with the horror of what happened.

"Two expert witnesses have confirmed that Ghassan Mohsin was severely mentally ill at the time and he is now the subject of a hospital order.

"The case is at an end but the family have now to try and rebuild their lives and our thoughts remain with them at this very sad time."