Liverpool man jailed for killing a man and leaving him to die on a pavement


A 25 year old Liverpool man has been jailed for 21 years for killing a man and leaving him to die on the pavement.

Liverpool Crown Court heard that John Dyer, of St Albans Court, stabbed Stephen Bennett, 28, three times in the back in the early hours of Sunday 21 September 2014 and then drove away.

The two men had been drinking with two other women at a house in Snowdon Lane in the Vauxhall area of Liverpool for several hours before the attack.

But the court heard that the atmosphere had suddenly changed in the early hours of the morning.

One of the women, Daisy Walker, was upstairs when she heard Bennett and Dyer shouting outside. She heard one of them say, "Come on, let's have It."

She ran outside to see what was going on and saw Mr Bennett with blood coming from his mouth, nose, ears and eyes.

Dyer had armed himself with a knife from the kitchen, without the others knowing, and had stabbed Mr Bennett in the back.

Both of the women tried to give first aid to Mr Bennett who had fallen to the pavement.

One of them demanded to know what Dyer had done but he replied, "I'm not a---d" and drove off in his car. Ms Walker called an ambulance.

Mr Bennett was taken to the Royal Liverpool Hospital but died a few hours later. The court heard that he could not have survived the wounds from the knife.

Dyer drove to his parents home and asked his father, John Baden Dyer, 52, to help him get rid of his blood stained clothing and the knife.

The clothes and the knife were later found in a neighbour's garden. Dyer had also thrown both of his mobile phones onto a nearby railway line.

Mr Baden Dyer pleaded guilty to assisting an offender and was also sentenced  to 12 months imprisonment, suspended for 2 years.

The Judge, Mr Justice King, said Dyer must serve every day of the 21 year sentence he has been given.

In a Victim Personal Statement that was read out to the court, Stephen's mother said: "No amount of words can reflect how we feel as Stephen's family. This has been one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life, waking everyday knowing that I will never see my son Stephen is the most painful. I will never see him again and that is what we are left with."

Geoffrey Fryar, Senior District Crown Prosecutor with Mersey-Cheshire Crown Prosecution service said: "Dyer's violent actions of the moment have devastated the family of Stephen Bennett.

"Mr Bennett was a young man with his life ahead of him and yet Dyer left him on the pavement to die.

"The two men had been enjoying a relatively pleasant night until the atmosphere suddenly changed, with tragic results.

"Dyer is now facing life imprisonment and the family of Stephen Bennett are left to try and rebuild their lives after the loss of their son.

"It is a tragic waste of life and our thoughts remain with Mr Bennett's family at this dreadful time."